Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Night Sights With RMR Or No?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In all low light / twilight / no light / NODs training that I have done, I've never seen anybody demonstrating anything remotely close to a rapid simultaneous deployment of their white light and their gun from a normal concealment clothing.
    You've never done any low light/twilight/no light/NODs training with people who have weapon-mounted lights on their handguns?

There is only one place where time and opportunity to get a light out and assume a favorite neck index / Rogers / Harries position is guaranteed. Web boards.
    There is only one place where every time you bring out a white light, bringing out a gun is guaranteed to be needed. In training.

In the real world, you will need a white light - and just a white light - many, many times more often than you'll need a gun with it. If it's dark enough that you'll need a white light, and you're paying attention, you will probably have the white light - and just the white light - deployed before you need to draw your handgun.

And if you need a white light and a handgun to come out of your pants simultaneously, well...

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    You've never done any low light/twilight/no light/NODs training with people who have weapon-mounted lights on their handguns...

...in light-bearing OWB holsters, usually with a retention. Zero relevance to an armed concealed-carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post

And if you need a white light and a handgun to come out of your pants simultaneously, well...

Aside from the fact that railless Shields, 43s, 48s etc dominate CCW field, I literally can't wait until one of these experts shoots their dick or some other part off for using inside-the-pants holsters that by definition allow a gap between holster and trigger guard. Even with the slimmer contemporary WML options. A depth of thinking that a bucket that allows WML body to pass will be immune from shirt or undershirt getting into a trigger guard deserves the loudest Darwin award there is.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    ...in light-bearing OWB holsters, usually with a retention. Zero relevance to an armed concealed-carrier.

Aside from the fact that railless Shields, 43s, 48s etc dominate CCW field, I literally can't wait until one of these experts shoots their dick or some other part off for using inside-the-pants holsters that by definition allow a gap between holster and trigger guard. Even with the slimmer contemporary WML options. A depth of thinking that a bucket that allows WML body to pass will be immune from shirt or undershirt getting into a trigger guard deserves the loudest Darwin award there is.
    OK, boomer.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Uh... I sometimes carry concealed with an X300.

Feedback Score
    I have pistols with RMR and plane black sights, I also have a CZ P07 with only a front sight which is a night sight. I don't like night sights on pistols.

At night you have basically a few different situations when it comes to light. Enough ambient light you can clearly see your target and your sights. Not enough ambient light to see your target, which means you will need a light source before you open fire. Which will provide great contrast for black steel sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have pistols with RMR and plane black sights, I also have a CZ P07 with only a front sight which is a night sight. I don't like night sights on pistols.

At night you have basically a few different situations when it comes to light. Enough ambient light you can clearly see your target and your sights. Not enough ambient light to see your target, which means you will need a light source before you open fire. Which will provide great contrast for black steel sights.
    This.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    Uh... I sometimes carry concealed with an X300.
    That's your choice, I don't have any problem with personal choices as long as they don't affect me, and this one certainly doesn't. I do get slightly annoyed with internet spetznaz operators putting out dumb shit out on Youtube but ultimately everyone should have their own brains. I carry AIWB, and has done so for close to 10 years. Well informed AIWBers have a set of safety rules and safe practices. Holster molded to assure a tight fit and full coverage of trigger guard area is one of them. Some current gun/lights combos have relatively small gaps, most don't, and none are as tight fit as with gun without the light. I consider an RDS + trit backup an ample setup for low light, I carry a handheld or always have one within a close reach, I don't care to have an ingress point in my gear that can facilitate an early funeral or dick transplant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's your choice, I don't have any problem with personal choices as long as they don't affect me, and this one certainly doesn't. I do get slightly annoyed with internet spetznaz operators putting out dumb shit out on Youtube but ultimately everyone should have their own brains. I carry AIWB, and has done so for close to 10 years. Well informed AIWBers have a set of safety rules and safe practices. Holster molded to assure a tight fit and full coverage of trigger guard area is one of them. Some current gun/lights combos have relatively small gaps, most don't, and none are as tight fit as with gun without the light. I consider an RDS + trit backup an ample setup for low light, I carry a handheld or always have one within a close reach, I don't care to have an ingress point in my gear that can facilitate an early funeral or dick transplant.
    I've had holsters that left a gap between the holster body and firearm close enough to the trigger that I did not feel comfortable using. The holster I currently use for IWB carry with a WML is very close to the firearm and prevents any unwanted things from getting into it. It has a smaller gap than my Safariland RDS holsters. I carry a handheld daily. Sometimes carry with a WML, sometimes without. None of my firearms have night sights and I do not feel that it is inadequate without. As I've stated prior, I have no issue with anyone adding them, but I disagree that they are necessary. No matter what sights you have, you should always have a light source.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The argument was brought up that there are times when you can see your target but not your sights, as in the gun was in the shadows. I posted this photo to show that even without tritium, I can still see my sights in that situation.

Then the argument was brought up that there are times when black sights over a black target in low light makes the sights disappear. So I made the counter argument that you would then need to use white light to identify the target.

Everyone can do as they please. I'm here for civil discussions, not a measuring contest.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    There are maybe 3 people in this thread who actually understand how nice it is to have a tritium front sight on an RDS equipped fighting handgun. The rest are arguing lights and sights and somehow holsters. To those 3, cheers.
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 02-13-20 at 00:24.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast