Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Colt lower and upper receivers: “CM5”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave 0 View Post
    Looks like that slot is so you can drive out the pivot pin for the left side mag release lever.
    Excellent call.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I'm curious what that horizontal slot(?) is on the left side below the mag catch / forward of the BAD lever-style bolt release. I'm not to familiar with ambi lowers, but I don't recall seeing that on others.

Colt apparently first unveiled this model in 2017 at the Bahrain International Defence Exhibition & Conference according to this article. Back then, they were just calling it the Colt M5 Enhanced Carbine.
    Interestingly they refer to a short-stroke piston system in M5. I now recall seeing that article a few years back. Not sure why Colt has never introduced a piston configuration to compete with HK416. Seems like they have it figured out - why not put it on the market?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Interestingly they refer to a short-stroke piston system in M5. I now recall seeing that article a few years back. Not sure why Colt has never introduced a piston configuration to compete with HK416. Seems like they have it figured out - why not put it on the market?
    Colt was selling a 6940P (piston model) back in 2012. It didn't seem to stick around very long. If I remember right, some people didn't like that the BCG was 2 piece. Instead of a gas-key the BCG had a screwed and staked piston strike face.

At the time it was released, I think there were some complaints about price, and it faced stiff competition from the LMT MRP piston, LWRC, Ruger AR piston models, and Adams Arms conversion kits when it was released.

I think I remeber Armsunlimited were selling Colt M4 - Piston marked lowers 2018-2019, and I thought to myself "huh, thats a blast from the past".
    Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 02-10-20 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    I think it’s too little, too late for Colt. There are so many other options out there for consumers in the AR world that are superior or equal to Colt. Think of LMT, KAC, DD, Bravo Company to name a few.

and yes, it would be dumb not to get a CM5 variant out to civilians. We’re the best beta testers out there. The appearance of the CM5 lower looks poorly executed though compared to a LMT MARS lower or a Knight’s.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I think it’s too little, too late for Colt. There are so many other options out there for consumers in the AR world that are superior or equal to Colt. Think of LMT, KAC, DD, Bravo Company to name a few.
    True, but to be fair out of all the comparable brands you listed, Colt is def the bang for the buck. The closest in price would be BCM but even they’re more expensive...not too mention no where near as proven/tested.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    That lower receiver sure looks “busy”...
    I absolutely have ZERO use for ambi nonsense on an AR. Safeties drive me nuts, and if you have to look down and take a minute to figger out what button to push to do something.... Hell no.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I absolutely have ZERO use for ambi nonsense on an AR. Safeties drive me nuts, and if you have to look down and take a minute to figger out what button to push to do something.... Hell no.
    Then don't use. Why all the complaining about nothing? Nobody cares if you like it or don't. This is a matter of a personal preference. Next thing you're going to complain that you don't like adjustable stocks, magazine releases, sights, or red dots because you have to look through them, or the recoil spring because it goes back and forth.

Given the option I would always choose ambi controls (if they are done properly) on any weapon.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I picked up a lower that had some ambi controls. “Supposed to be an ex Colt “ exec that put a ton of his own stuff on consignment at LGS. I bought it because it was restricted then saw that ..
    Pretty cool.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I picked up a lower that had some ambi controls. “Supposed to be an ex Colt “ exec that put a ton of his own stuff on consignment at LGS. I bought it because it was restricted then saw that ..
    Pretty cool.

PB
    Any photos of that lower?

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I really don't like the design of the Colt ambidextrous stuff. the opposite side bolt release is a completely different design and in a different location, I like the way Smith & Wesson did it with the M&P 10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast