Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Consciousness Cannot Have Evolved

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Far too many have the white lab coat syndrome. Would it sooth you if I wore one? Maybe you'd believe me more.

I do understand though, I am no authority.

After all we know all men in positions of authority are benevolent and have our best interests in mind.
    He is smitten with the disease that "science" knows better and that we are truly in an age where "now we know and all the previous stuff that were wrong doesn't count and those guys didn't know better and were ignorant." Unlike us now. Not thinking that those same ignorant guys thought the same thing when they were the leaders and the new leaders will thing the same thing of him and people like him 50 years from now.

It's an illusion of being superior when those same "dummies" got them where they were to begin with.

In fact, the more we "find out" the more we learn that we really don;t know sh*t in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 02-26-20 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Consciousness Cannot Have Evolved

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    He is smitten with the disease that "science" knows better and that we are truly in an age where "now we know and all the previous stuff that were wrong doesn't count and those guys didn't know better and were ignorant." Unlike us now. Not thinking that those same ignorant guys thought the same thing when they were the leaders and the new leaders will thing the same thing of him and people like him 50 years from now.

It's an illusion of being superior when those same "dummies" got them where they were to begin with.

In fact, the more we "find out" the more we learn that we really don;t know sh*t in the grand scheme of things.
    Imagine being someone who believes all truth about existence comes from a book about a magical being written by man.

It’s like nobody here understands what the scientific method actually is and how it applies to the real world.

Zealotry abounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Imagine being someone who believes all truth about existence comes from a book about a magical being written by man.

It’s like nobody here understands what the scientific method actually is and how it applies to the real world.

Zealotry abounds.

That may be true, maybe not. I won't speak to the understanding of anyone else. What I do observe though is that steps 4 and 5 of the scientific method often times gets skipped or gets a lot of "gimme's" in this day and age without anyone questioning it whatsoever if doing so aligns with their theory. Ask yourself? Is that truly science?

Add to the fact that a lot of science is supported by research teams that are funded by grant/donation money. Not finding research that "supports" this funding is detrimental to the research teams future. Money corrupts all. Weeding through this self corruption is a feat in itself.

It wasn't too long ago that smoking was deemed perfectly fine for your health, and that is far from some outreaching scientific theory. This fallacy now seems like basic common sense, but at one time, it was not. If they fooled/lied to people with that back then, what makes people think that they aren't being fooled/lied to now? It's the same illusion that people had back then which is that "now they are smarter in this day and age and know better". Yeah...ok bud.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 02-26-20 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Zealotry abounds.

It's interesting to note that if we have people that are illiterate in say basic English, or math, or civics, people (rightly so) get upset. Having a large % of your population that's science illiterate that's Ok apparently. Some, per comments made in this thread, seem to literally celebrate the idea.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-26-20 at 12:11.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That may be true, maybe not. I won't speak to the understanding of anyone else. What I do observe though is that steps 4 and 5 of the scientific method often times gets skipped or gets a lot of "gimme's" in this day and age without anyone questioning it whatsoever if doing so aligns with their theory. Ask yourself? Is that truly science?

Add to the fact that a lot of science is supported by research teams that are funded by grant/donation money. Not finding research that "supports" this funding is detrimental to the research teams future. Money corrupts all. Weeding through this self corruption is a feat in itself.

It wasn't too long ago that smoking was deemed perfectly fine for your health, and that is far from some outreaching scientific theory. This fallacy now seems like basic common sense, but at one time, it was not. If they fooled/lied to people with that back then, what makes people think that they aren't being fooled/lied to now? It's the same illusion that people had back then which is that "now they are smarter in this day and age and know better". Yeah...ok bud.
    And any of that does what to corrupt what the fundamental basic of scientific study actually is? Science is simply the pure logical evidence based pursuit of truth and understanding. Man screws it up bigly sometimes since that’s what we do.

Religion does the same to faith IMO and personally that’s my gripe with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And any of that does what to corrupt what the fundamental basic of scientific study actually is? Science is simply the pure logical evidence based pursuit of truth and understanding. Man screws it up bigly sometimes since that’s what we do.

Religion does the same to faith IMO and personally that’s my gripe with it.

I totally agree with you on both points as far as humans go.

I don't think anyone was criticizing the fundamental basic of scientific study at all though. I know I wasn't.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Far too many have the white lab coat syndrome. Would it sooth you if I wore one? Maybe you'd believe me more.

I do understand though, I am no authority.
    Sure...all you need is a white lab coat and Google and you're as smart as any of those arrogant, self-important scientists..right?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

For the non-metaphysical part of my post, there is definitely some truth to the above. It has been demonstrated that a lot of what passes for "science" nowadays skips or manipulates basic principles of the scientific method. That, coupled with the internet, is a dangerous recipe. Honestly, I think AI can help weed out much of the inherent bias that is present in everything humans do - I believe that anything humans do contains inherent bias, however miniscule or imperceptible it might be. Scientific method (and math) just happens to be the best answer we have at the moment to minimize it, but the weak link in that is humans. I come back to a paradox, though, that even the output of AI may only be as good as the input, which is inherently human. Would we even be able to comprehend what AI could demonstrate if it proved to challenge widely accepted notions of "truth", science, and/or consciousness? Would we even recognize a difference if there was one? A rabbit hole for a different post.

For the metaphysical, I'm sentient enough to believe that there are no 100%-certain answers when humans are posing/creating the problems and the solutions (in the mathematical or scientific sense). I believe in a metaphysical state well beyond what we could ever understand ourselves or convey to others through senses, even if we possessed all knowledge. Whether that's "God" or not, I have no idea. I know that I'm fascinated to learn more and to hear information, especially big "T" theories, that challenge my previously held notions about anything, all while trying to keep myself from staring into the abyss. The only "religious" belief I have, beyond a belief in the metaphysical, is to believe what you want to believe, just don't be so vain as to feel the need to proselytize or be so unimaginative as to believe you're right.

Someone said many pages back that dogs "know" that we know things they don't. I even get a sense that they (dogs) look at us to try and understand. I see it in my dog's eyes all of the time. That sums up consciousness for me. It's all relative.
    Last edited by sundance435; 02-26-20 at 15:15.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526