Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Consciousness Cannot Have Evolved

Feedback Score

Consciousness Cannot Have Evolved

https://iai.tv/articles/consciousnes...lved-auid-1302

The overwhelmingly validated theory of evolution tells us that the functions performed by our organs arose from associated increases in survival fitness. For instance, the bile produced by our liver and the insulin produced by our pancreas help us absorb nutrients and thus survive. Insofar as it is produced by the brain, our phenomenal consciousness—i.e. our ability to subjectively experience the world and ourselves—is no exception: it, too, must give us some survival advantage, otherwise natural selection wouldn’t have fixed it in our genome. In other words, our sentience—to the extent that it is produced by the brain—must perform a beneficial function, otherwise we would be unconscious zombies.

Phenomenal consciousness cannot have evolved. It can only have been there from the beginning as an intrinsic, irreducible fact of nature. The faster we come to terms with this fact, the faster our understanding of consciousness will progress.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Psalm 139:13-15
    13 For Thou hast possessed my reins. Thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Thy works, and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from Thee when I was made in secret, and intricately wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    ^ sums it up

Feedback Score
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6u0VBqNBQ8

A good explanation of how consciousness likely evolved along with us.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Psalm 139:13-15
    13 For Thou hast possessed my reins. Thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Thy works, and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from Thee when I was made in secret, and intricately wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
    Just...AMEN brother...Amen.
    To me...evolution has been about as "overwhelmingly validated" as the made up impeachment crap about President Trump.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-09-20 at 10:53.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post

The overwhelmingly validated theory of evolution tells us that the functions performed by our organs arose from associated increases in survival fitness. For instance, the bile produced by our liver and the insulin produced by our pancreas help us absorb nutrients and thus survive. Insofar as it is produced by the brain, our phenomenal consciousness—i.e. our ability to subjectively experience the world and ourselves—is no exception: it, too, must give us some survival advantage, otherwise natural selection wouldn’t have fixed it in our genome. In other words, our sentience—to the extent that it is produced by the brain—must perform a beneficial function, otherwise we would be unconscious zombies.

Phenomenal consciousness cannot have evolved. It can only have been there from the beginning as an intrinsic, irreducible fact of nature. The faster we come to terms with this fact, the faster our understanding of consciousness will progress.
    Sounds like an argument against evolution and for not just intelligent design, but the old the universe is only 5 thousand years old. If it could not have evolved, it has to have been here all the time in us, which means that humans must have always been here.

Nope.

Not hard to see sentience, or self awareness evolving in animals. Dogs innately understand that humans can do and know things that they don't know or can do, wolves don't but a dog still doesn't understand a mirror. Primates have different levels of self awareness with some having self awareness to understand what a mirror image is.

There is a HUGE evolutionary pressure for sentience. Almost like the race for AI in computers. Planning, communication, society, ethics and abstract thought.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Just...AMEN brother...Amen.
    To me...evolution has been about as "overwhelmingly validated" as the made up impeachment crap about President Trump.
    You evolved from an Ape. Accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Sounds like an argument against evolution and for not just intelligent design, but the old the universe is only 5 thousand years old. If it could not have evolved, it has to have been here all the time in us, which means that humans must have always been here.

Nope.

Not hard to see sentience, or self awareness evolving in animals. Dogs innately understand that humans can do and know things that they don't know or can do, wolves don't but a dog still doesn't understand a mirror. Primates have different levels of self awareness with some having self awareness to understand what a mirror image is.

There is a HUGE evolutionary pressure for sentience. Almost like the race for AI in computers. Planning, communication, society, ethics and abstract thought.
    If we are going to dig deeper, there is no reason to believe the universe is young. Just we are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im pretty sure YOU did. The Lord God made me. Youll see one day soon.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post

You should look up Conway's game of life. Incredibly complex systems can arise from from a very simple system given enough time.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-09-20 at 16:04.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast