Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Consciousness Cannot Have Evolved

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post
    The difference between us is that you are an agnostic , whereas I am a practising atheist.
    I'm not worried about it.
    You're Not an idle observer, but one engaged in an activity - in your case, a self-described atheist who practices your craft. That's fine, but I've run into quite a number of them over the years, and just like the zealous Christian, the atheist can also be zealous. I've seen atheists who demonstrate almost bipolar ticks of rage when anything deity is mentioned; they're calm one minute and a go full blown attack the next.

Christians can be wackos; so can atheists. I avoid all the crusaders and just enjoy my personal beliefs and knowledge, and let everyone else tear each other apart. Believe or Know what you want....or don't. Just don't get in people's faces about it.
    Last edited by OH58D; 02-13-20 at 00:25.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    You're Not an idle observer, but one engaged in an activity - in your case, a self-described atheist who practices your craft. That's fine, but I've run into quite a number of them over the years, and just like the zealous Christian, the atheist can also be zealous. I've seen atheists who demonstrate almost bipolar ticks of rage when anything deity is mentioned; they're calm one minute and a go full blown attack the next.

Christians can be wackos; so can atheists. I avoid all the crusaders and just enjoy my personal beliefs and knowledge, and let everyone else tear each other apart. Believe or Know what you want....or don't. Just don't get in people's faces about it.
    Do whatever pleases you and I will do likewise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The difference between us is that you are an agnostic , whereas I am a practising atheist.

PS, I think the title of Evangelical Atheist would suit me best …

" Evangelical Atheist
    An atheist that combats religion as zealously as evangelicals thrust their religious beliefs on others."
    So you do have a religion. It's anti-religion. Also fed by faith...because in reality, you have no proof either.

Feedback Score
    Do whatever pleases you and I will do likewise.
    And that is totally fine. I am comfortable with whatever I believe, know, but for what I don't know, I strive for greater knowledge. I am not a traditional Christian - I ask questions that the theology doesn't address, or want to address. I also see things in the natural world that isn't addressed by theology, and things the traditional Christian doesn't want to talk about.

Just because you are a practicing atheist, it doesn't mean we couldn't sit down for lunch and solve the world's problems. I can converse with most people, including those who have opposite points of view. No hate here, just trying to treat my fellow man/woman as I would want to be treated.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Completely not true.

If a deity can be eternal or without beginning then so can anything, including the origin of the universe and the origin of life. Of course I don't have faith or belief either way, lacking any evidence to support either position I'm agnostic which means I understand we don't know.

Most atheists are simply people who don't completely subscribe to the scientific method and base their beliefs on what they find to be "most likely" given their experience. They aren't all people who know there is a god and are just stubbornly insisting they don't believe in god. And most of them are people who honestly don't believe in god and are simply tired of being subjected to religion and the harm done by religion globally. That is probably the factor that moves most people from agnostic to atheism.

As for me, I know even if I waved some kind of magic wand and all religions ceased to exist that people would simply invent new, possibly even more destructive, belief systems because humans seem to not be able to accept not knowing things. This is why we invented religions, this is why we invented science.

I wish everyone could simply move forward, with religious people abiding by their beliefs to make their lives better / more fulfilling and non religious people doing the same, but respecting everyone else and leaving them to their beliefs doesn't seem to be something humans do easily. Right now people in Africa are killing children over tribal conflicts and that doesn't even come close to religious differences.
    My point is that whatever existed forever is your god. Energy that started the big bang? That energy is your ‘god’. We cant currently prove how, what, why, so people have faith in what makes the most sense to them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    So you do have a religion. It's anti-religion. Also fed by faith...because in reality, you have no proof either.
    I respect Knowledge, Truth, Reason, and Logic, I revere the Sun and common sense, and George Carlin was my hero...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

If anti religion is a religion would that not make me anti myself ?
    Last edited by Mick Boon; 02-13-20 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    I recently watched a video of a woman being stoned to death for insulting Islam, it was a tragedy for her. But it's not just Islam, the Christians do real nasty evil shit too.

The question I have for all the believers here is why does your God let it happen ?
    It doesn’t take a belief system for people to do evil things. If someone does evil because they believe a magic man in the sky wants them to, I got news for you brother, they’d find a reason to do evil without that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    It doesn’t take a belief system for people to do evil things. If someone does evil because they believe a magic man in the sky wants them to, I got news for you brother, they’d find a reason to do evil without that.
    In that context, he’s not talking about doing evil things...he’s talking about doing evil things in the name of a belief system. An extraordinarily common thing in the history of humanity and one that we still see commonly today.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    And that is totally fine. I am comfortable with whatever I believe, know, but for what I don't know, I strive for greater knowledge. I am not a traditional Christian - I ask questions that the theology doesn't address, or want to address. I also see things in the natural world that isn't addressed by theology, and things the traditional Christian doesn't want to talk about.

Just because you are a practicing atheist, it doesn't mean we couldn't sit down for lunch and solve the world's problems. I can converse with most people, including those who have opposite points of view. No hate here, just trying to treat my fellow man/woman as I would want to be treated.
    Knowledge is the most important of all things, without it you will understand nothing. You will die in the darkness for lack of it, abuse it not for it opens all eyes and it will show you the way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    In that context, he’s not talking about doing evil things...he’s talking about doing evil things in the name of a belief system. An extraordinarily common thing in the history of humanity and one that we still see commonly today.
    Exactly !

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast