Thread: WML Review

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

WML Review

In case some have not seen this video, I'm posting it here. It contains IMO excellent information: direct comparisons of various lights and commentary at the end that I found my self in agreement with. No doubt recent WML products are proving to be a game-changer.

I hope you find the video as informative as I do.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not a terrible video, but I have a few problems with it. Their comments about shooting at someone with a light vs shooting with a light assumes they're in the exact situation they were in on the range; stationary, in the direct beam of the light, and not off to the side or in a room that is being searched. Even with good light discipline, you're not always going to turn your light on directly on target, which is what they seem to assume.

It is funny though that I've observed the tendency of people to "shy away" from white light. When we played OpFor, I used to tell my guys the best way to beat NODs was white light at close range; hit a stack as they're going through the doorway and they have a tendency to freeze, even for just a second.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    It is funny though that I've observed the tendency of people to "shy away" from white light.
    My primary interest is the use of handheld lights for the typical self-defense scenario.

I have a friend in a large metro PD who does warrant arrest work and uses a high-intensity light to motivate compliance. His observations have been that the high-candela light applied directly to the eyes seriously resets the OODA loop and gives significant advantage in gaining control of uncooperative suspects. He just ordered the handheld version of the Modlite OKW and will be trying that light in the near future. He's been using a Malkoff M91T (750 lumens/20,000 candela) which he has found quite effective, so we're both interested in seeing if the 680-lumen/69,000-candela OKW offers a noticeable advantage in that application.

The talk is always about "lumens" without any reference to beam pattern, or specifically how those lumens are focused (candela). I think the video does a good job of illustrating that candela must be the main consideration once engagement range opens up beyond pistol-fighting distances.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    so we're both interested in seeing if the 680-lumen/69,000-candela OKW offers a noticeable advantage in that application.
    It does, I think you'll both be impressed.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It does, I think you'll both be impressed.
    So far he is reporting that is the case.

Though the narrower beam takes some getting used to, he has found that the OKW's 69,000 candela easily defeats photonic barriers including illuminating a target through an open door into a darkened room while standing outside in full daylight (shoot house). In another test he stood 30 feet in front of a cruiser with the overheads strobing and take-down lights on and easily illuminated the officer behind the wheel through the windshield.

In my own experimentation using a Malkoff E2 Hyper Throw head (500 lumens/35,000 candela) on a Surefire body for an EDC light, I'm finding the narrower high-candela beam offers some advantages over the wider, more diffuse beam typical of most handheld lights. I think there is a general misconception that lights like the OKW and E2HT are at a distinct disadvantage for maintaining SA, but the broad fill is bright enough to detect potential threats outside of the narrow hot spot. The increased ability to defeat photonic barriers and blind assailants seems a substantially greater advantage than any disadvantage from the reduction of fill brightness.

Below is my EDC E2HT-Surefire Lego (which is carried in a Kytex Gear 6P horizontal holster) shown with a smaller task light that rides in the bottom of my front pocket;

A couple of beam shots. Top is the Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head (1,000 lumens/12,000 candela), bottom is the E2HT (500 lumens/35,000 candela);

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m a flashaholic myself, carried a Malkoff M61HOT in an old Surefire hard case on my duty belt. Loved the output and small footprint on the belt.

Used a slightly longer Streamlight Stinger HL due to the head switch for traffick stops, was taught to me by my FTO, left handed carry and when you grab the D/L you rotate the light and it “purposely” sweeps the operator and occupants with the light. Neat trick!

I used to carry an old E2D with a first gen Malkoff head on it. However I need it to be brighter! I appreciate the info about the HyperThrow.

Noticed the Tactician tailcap, 2-way clips work great! What body is that? AND you running a 16650?

And also what module is in that VME?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The body is a L4 Digital Lumamax that I found on ebay, and yes a Keeppower 16650 2500mAh cell. The 2-way clip works well for both pocket carry and securing the light in the Kytex Gear carrier;

I very much like the semi-shrouded design of the Tactician tailcap, but the electrical contact is typical of the SF twisty (not entirely reliable without a hard press). Turns out Lumens Factory just introduced a clone that uses a McClicky switch - https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Series-E2...k/223897480533. I have one of these inbound to try.

A M61L resides in the VME, I find the balance of output (200+ lumens) and runtime (2+ hours) on a 16340 cell to be the right balance for me.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Appreciate the stats, thanks.