Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusion with finding a correct buffer

Feedback Score

Confusion with finding a correct buffer

I’ve been reading all kinds of threads regarding correct buffer weight and the correct spring to use and my head is just spinning.

My goal is to run an 18” barrel, rifle length gas system with a carbine buffer system. Plan on using it for 2/3 gun matches and messing around at the range. From what I’ve been able to read, I should start with an H3 buffer. Just not sure what spring, or if I’m even right about the buffer.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for adding another thread on this topic. Be safe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It sounds as if you don't have it built yet, you might want to wait until you get the barrel in hand to choose the buffer weight you are going to start with. There are variables that would impact the weight of buffer used - primary among them 1) gas port size; and 2) ammo used.

FWIW: I have an 18 rifle gas barrel that runs smooth on a standard carbine spring and an H (aka H1) buffer using .223 pressure ammo. Very little recoil - .22 like.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Given your intended purpose, an A5H0 with Sprinco Green and an adjustable gas block would seem reasonable.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    primary among them 1) gas port size; and 2) ammo used.

FWIW: I have an 18 rifle gas barrel that runs smooth on a standard carbine spring and an H (aka H1) buffer using .223 pressure ammo. Very little recoil - .22 like.
    This. Gas port in the barrel will be a big factor. Not that you have to tear the thing apart if it comes assembled. But if you're running a carbine buffer, I'd start at H2 or H. H2 most closely mimics the Rifle buffer system.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The first order of business is getting a properly gassed barrel and/or an adjustable gas solution.

Then any normal buffer can be used.

Most of the confusion surrounding buffers is when people try to use them to correct for an over gassed barrel.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run a H2 w/standard action spring in a rifle with 18" barrel, rifle length gas, carbine stock.

I ran it for quite a while with a carbine buffer, and it was 100% reliable.

But it's smoother running and less "jumpy" with the H2. Learning occurred, and it's better this way.

I'm at the point where I agree with others here, in that the H2 seems ideal for most applications with a carbine RE.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If that barrel has a decent sized gas port you can run any buffer you want and it literally will not matter one tiny bit.

With properly built unsuppressed semi-autos, the buffer literally does not matter.

The two m4c.net 'gold standards' of reliability run H or Car buffers. They work.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have two different 18" rifle length uppers, one an FN CFH barrel with a .089 gas port, and the other a Ballistic Advantage SS SPR with a .080 port. I run an A5H2 buffer and a Tubbs flatwire spring. With this setup it runs very smoothly and reliably with a variety of ammo. I shot the FN upper using a buddies lower that had a standard H1 carbine buffer and the difference in the recoil impulse was noticeable. If you don't want to mess with adjustable gas, I personally think the A5 buffer system is a great setup for what you want.

Feedback Score
    I’d start with a std. buffer and three tungsten weights, or the KAK buffer kit.
    Then just swap a steel weight with a tungsten til you get it how you want.
    If your build is gassed properly, it’ll probably run almost every combination of buffer weight & ammo.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the input. I ordered an H2 and will start there. I will report back as soon as I have the rifle put together and time to shoot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast