Thread: Reasonable quality AK-74/105 available today or near term?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Reasonable quality AK-74/105 available today or near term?

I'm looking to get a 5.45x39 AK-105 (16" barrel) style rifle. I want to stay around $1,000 if possible. I am not a total fanatic for absolute clone correct features but, I want the 'core' to remain without dumb substitutions too. What I like about the AK-105 is the longer sight radius and what I believe to be a superior top cover for optics (thinking red dot mainly but, low power optics might be an option too).

I'm not really looking for a Rifle Dynamics (aka Noveske, KAC, etc.) level of 'quality' but, I'm also not interested in the low quality stuff either. Are AK-105 parts even available for builds or conversions today or, are they all tied up in Russian sanctions? What are the good magazines to run in these rifles (i.e. do I need ~$50 magazines or, do good options exist from a company like Magpul, again I am concerned about function not cosmetics)?

In terms of availability, I am looking for something to be available by late Summer at the latest so, I guess a 'custom' build might be an option. I'm not willing to wait on SHOT SHOW 'vaporware' product announcements to come to market years from now.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Top cover is just that, cover. None of them are superior

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I'm looking to get a 5.45x39 AK-105 (16" barrel) style rifle. I want to stay around $1,000 if possible. I am not a total fanatic for absolute clone correct features but, I want the 'core' to remain without dumb substitutions too. What I like about the AK-105 is the longer sight radius and what I believe to be a superior top cover for optics (thinking red dot mainly but, low power optics might be an option too).

I'm not really looking for a Rifle Dynamics (aka Noveske, KAC, etc.) level of 'quality' but, I'm also not interested in the low quality stuff either. Are AK-105 parts even available for builds or conversions today or, are they all tied up in Russian sanctions? What are the good magazines to run in these rifles (i.e. do I need ~$50 magazines or, do good options exist from a company like Magpul, again I am concerned about function not cosmetics)?

In terms of availability, I am looking for something to be available by late Summer at the latest so, I guess a 'custom' build might be an option. I'm not willing to wait on SHOT SHOW 'vaporware' product announcements to come to market years from now.

TIA,
    Sid
    You won't find this for $1,000. You are a few years too late.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    You won't find this for $1,000. You are a few years too late.
    Ok, what's the ballpark for something this today? Rifle Dynamics pricing in the over $2K range?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Ok, what's the ballpark for something this today? Rifle Dynamics pricing in the over $2K range?
    https://rifledynamics.com/rd501

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    Thanks! I was hoping I could find one for less than a KAC SR-15 LPR.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I don't see anything about the AK-105 that would suggest it has a, "superior top cover," for optics mounting or a longer sight radius (longer than what?).

AFAIK, nobody has imported an AK-105-alike in the better part of a decade (Arsenal SLR-104CR, probably).

It does look like there are some AK-105 parts kits available, but they will eat about half of a $2000 budget - and getting it built will likely eat the other half.

However, you mention wanting a 16" barrel gun - the AK-105 has about a 12.5" barrel. If you want something like the RD gun listed earlier - basically an AK-74M/AKS-74N with the front sight lopped off and the gas block replaced with a gas block/front sight combo, you will probably have better luck finding an AK-74 kit and buying a J-Mac or Krebs front sight/gas block and having the barrel (which you're going to have to buy, anyway) threaded for a standard 1/2x28" (or whatever) threading, instead of having the AK-74 front sight block your kit will come with mounted. I suspect you'll still come awfully close to that $2000 price point.

I would guess once PSA gets their 5.45mm guns into production that they'll begin doing 5.45mm AK-Es and they could easily do an AKS-74/AK-74M-type folding stock on one and, barring anyone else getting into the 5.45mm game in the meantime, would likely be your only sub-$2000 option. But that probably won't be available until next year, I would guess (PSA will have to get FN to make 5.45mm barrels).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    Or the AK-12 if you could have one built:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-12
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Sid Post, unfortunately, you're late to the party. I just sold an original barrel wood stocked AK74 kit for $999. I was going to keep it, but at the current market prices I was motivated to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    (Arsenal SLR-104CR, probably).
    There's no such animal, though I did have one built.