Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry fire observations/comparison

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Dry fire observations/comparison

I’ve been doing a lot of dry fire lately. Today I pulled all my AR’s out of the safe and did some comparing. I tried them in the receivers they were installed in, and I also swapped some, but not all into a Larue trigger jig. Some of you may remember that I did some inquiring about different two stage triggers a couple years ago. At that time, I had tried other AR triggers, but had not REALLY gotten nerdy about them. Well, I bought a few since then. So I thought I would share my thoughts with y’all.

Disclaimer: All of these triggers were lubed with grease. All of these triggers are adequate for duty, home defense, etc, in my opinion. I also use them in competition, although there are better choices for that. So when I say that one has some overtravel, or some creep, realize that that is not a bad thing, and its all relative. Also, when I mention those things, its entirely subjective; I attempted to measure this, but I found that I could not do so consistently.

ALG ACT: A few short years ago, I really didn’t care about triggers very much. Or rifles, really. This trigger did everything I needed. Reliable, safe, and training translates well to standard .gov weapons. The one that I still have breaks at an average of 7.25lbs, and has a little grit in comparison to some of the other triggers in this post. It is smoother than most “mil-spec” triggers, and is very inexpensive. The travel (creep) is not very long and it has very little overtravel, close to zero. This trigger is fast. Edit: mixing and matching (ALG ACT?) NP3 hammers and rando phosphate triggers from my spare parts drawer, selecting for smoothness of the sear surfaces, and using calipers to find the thinnest standard strength springs in my collections, I was able to get one together that is buttery smooth. I put it together in my Larue trigger jig, and transplanted into my 605 not-clone, where I measured the greased pull weights at 6.5lbs and very consistent.

Hiperfire EDT: I have 3 of these; two EDT 2 and a EDT Heavy Gunner. With the light spring, they average 4.2lbs and with the heavy spring, they average 5.2lbs. I prefer the heavy spring. They have some creep, but its smooth, not gritty at all. Two of the three triggers have noticeable (in dry fire; I don’t notice it in live fire) overtravel, more than the ALG, again, not a bad thing. The EDT2 that is installed in my M&P 15-22 seems to have minimal or no overtravel. I suspect there is some tolerance stacking with the non-standard plastic receiver.

Sionics Enhanced Two Stage: I’ve got two of these. With the springs that it came with, the first stage is 1.75lbs and the total is 4.25lbs, 10 pull average. With a Larue heavy trigger spring, I get 2.5lbs and 4.75lbs total. You’ll see a theme here with these weights with the other two stage triggers. The pull is smooth and has about the same overtravel as the Larue, or at least the second one I bought. The first Sionics trigger I bought has very little overtravel. The Larue and Sionics triggers have the most overtravel of my two stage collection. For the third time, not a bad thing, and its relative. This trigger looks like it has copied some aspects of the Larue, and they feel rather similar. Or, more likely, they both copied the same features from another trigger; there’s only so many ways to skin this cat. In another thread, I have said that it resets to the beginning of the second stage, so you get a shorter pull on follow ups. Thats not really true. As I do more dry fire, I have discerned that the first Sionics trigger I bought resets with just a ****hair of the first stage to pull through. The second one I bought resets very near the beginning of the first stage, just like the rest of my two stage triggers. The first one also has very little overtravel. Its a very fast trigger. Maybe its a difference in the receivers. Skip to the last page here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?209487-Sionics-Enhanced-2-Stage-Trigger/page7&highlight=Sionics%20two%20stage

Larue MBT-2s: Average pull weight is 2.5lbs for the first stage and 4.75lbs total, with the heavier spring. Very smooth, with a very crisp break. Its got a good bit of overtravel. A lot of people talk about how wide the trigger face is, but its really not. Compared to the other triggers here, it is 0-0.03” wider. It feels as wide as it does because there is very little radius at the edges, and it is cut rather square. The Wilson, in comparison, probably has the narrowest feel. On the install, the Larue is cool in that it has a separate disconnector pin, so thats captured. Also, it comes with two trigger springs, and I prefer the heavier one, which I am likely to use with my Sionics triggers, also. I just ordered a few spare heavy springs.

G SSA: The most frequently recommended trigger in internet history. Mine measures 2.5lbs in the first stage and 4.75lbs total, on average. See the theme here? It does nothing badly, and is pretty much the average of these other triggers. It is smooth, and breaks nicely enough. It has some overtravel, just slightly more than the Wilson TTU. About the same as my first Sionics Enhanced Two Stage. Its also the most expensive trigger here, and I’m not convinced it should be. Its a well known quantity here, and is thought to be safe and reliable, so there’s that. The SSA is a really solid $100 trigger, and even at that price, I’m not sure it would top my list. I guess what I’m getting at, is that its pretty average, but has a very exceptional price. Swapping in a LaRue HD trigger spring makes it 3 and 5 lbs.

Wilson TTU “Paul Howe”: Of my two stage triggers, it feels like it has the shortest travel and least overtravel. I would like to say that its my fastest two stage trigger, but I can’t prove that with the timer, because the only times I have live fired it, I did not have any other rifle with me, and it has a different muzzle device. It would make sense that it has less travel, because the cassette design makes it independent of the tolerances of varying receivers. It has the crispest, lightest feeling break in this lineup, although the measured weight does not really prove exceptional. Its just really smooth, crisp, and short. I have also shot a buddy’s rifle with one of these, and was equally impressed. Edit to add pull weight: after very much use, this trigger measures 2.25lb in the first stage, and breaks at 4lbs.

I also tried out the springs that came in some inconel lower spring kits (bought separately) on a couple of these triggers. They resulted in reduced pull weight on both single and two stage triggers. This implies that they are weaker, so I do not recommend them in the trigger. They are still working well for detents.

If I had to make recommendations based on all of this, for duty or defensive use: If single stage is desired, the Hiperfire EDT 2 is pretty good; maybe the best aftermarket single stage for duty. For two stage, Sionics and Larue both work. The Sionics may be less consistent, and I prefer the Larue heavy spring. I’d probably pick the Larue because it is more of a known quantity, and comes with the spring I want.

I would say that the biggest practical difference in the 1 vs 2 stage triggers in the <$100 price bracket is that the initial travel is lighter on these pair of two stage triggers, whereas the weight is more constant in the EDT. For short to medium range shooting pick one of the three, doesn’t matter.

If you want to spend a bunch of money, the best trigger I own is the Wilson TTU “Paul Howe”. It is not the most expensive, but it may be the fastest, and has the nicest break, so it just doesn’t have any downsides.

9/22/2020 update: added pull weights for Paul Howe TTU.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-22-21 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If you want to play with a 4# TTU single stage shoot me a PM. Not sure where you are in the LC. I am on HHI.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We use a couple different triggers:

ALG ACT
    is a very good mil spec trigger. They're never awful like some mil spec triggers can be. If you never used anything better, you'd be completely happy.

G G2S
    Feels like a classic two stage. Has very long but light pull in the first stage and a pretty crisp break. It can take a second to get used to when picking up a bunch of random rifles.
    That really long first stage can trigger the "why am I pulling the trigger and nothing is happening" automatic response from the brain.

Larue MBT-2S
    Is almost like a hybrid. The first stage is so short, you almost don't notice if you're not expecting it. Break is super crisp, but reset is not.
    This is helped somewhat with the heavy trigger spring.
    The sluggish reset seems to be the biggest complaint about what is otherwise an excellent trigger at a fantastic price.

ETA: Slightly breaking/stoning the tip of the hammer's disconnector hook seems to greatly improve the snappiness of the reset.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good write-up.

I used to use SSA and SSA-E triggers, tried an MBT.

I really liked a two stage to pair with a magnified optic to shoot longer distances with ease.

I'm really just comfortable with a stock trigger for a defensive AR.

Lots of good stuff out there.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you want to play with a 4# TTU single stage shoot me a PM. Not sure where you are in the LC. I am on HHI.
    Will do. I’m just outside Charleston.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Larue MBT-2S
    Break is super crisp, but reset is not. This is helped somewhat with the heavy trigger spring.
    Pretty much every aftermarket rifle trigger I’ve owned, I’ve preferred the heavier springs. Sharper reset is a top reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Good write-up.

I'm really just comfortable with a stock trigger for a defensive AR.

Lots of good stuff out there.
    Thank you. A lot of people speak (or type) of a trigger as a “necessary” upgrade, as if a rifle is unserviceable without a a SSA-E. And that is simply untrue. Its a luxury, and whatever came in your rifle, or one of these <$100 ones if you’re building your own rifle, will do the job if you do yours.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve been playing with a Triggertech AR Combat trigger. I’ve only got a few hundo rounds on it, so the jury’s still out. It has a first stage pull of 1.5lbs, with a break at 5.5lbs, which matches the advertised pull weight. This is not a duty trigger. The pins are not captured via spring legs. Instead, there are tensioning screws. This may be the one place that KNS pins are worthwhile, in order to provide some redundancy in that area. The pull, however, is phenomenal. The travel is very short and precise. It is very easy to work this trigger for both speed and precision. They advertise the thing as being similar to a good 1911, and I think there’s some validity to that. If you have a two stage in your daily driver, and want to try something a little different in your match gun, I think this would be a good choice. Its probably also fine in a HD rifle; I just wouldn’t be comfortable about the pins for a gun that lives in the back of a Tahoe.

Edit: also, it requires removal of the safety during installation, which you might find tedious.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-22-21 at 13:41.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The hammer spring on the Wilson “Paul Howe” TTU is proprietary and must go back to Wilson if replacement is needed. The legs are much longer than on G, Larue, or Sionics.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have two MBT’s. They will not fit in my DD5V4. When I contacted Mark directly through IG to ask for a recommended workaround or feedback he told me to buy a different lower.

In went the SSA.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That Triggertech works effing spectacularly in my PCC. Stupid fast. Lets see if it survives.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    About how many rounds do you have on the TriggerTech?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast