Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training VS “Duty” Ammo

Feedback Score

Training VS “Duty” Ammo

Hi all I’m new here and about to purchase a significant amount of practice ammo. My question is what, if any, is the benefit in buying practice ammo that is the same grain as “duty”/SHTF/Self defense ammo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoj View Post
    Hi all I’m new here and about to purchase a significant amount of practice ammo. My question is what, if any, is the benefit in buying practice ammo that is the same grain as “duty”/SHTF/Self defense ammo?
    Doesnt matter for most people and most practice.

If you can shoot 4” or better at 25 yards, you may notice a difference at that range and further.
    If you are a good shooter, you may be able to quantify the difference on medium range targets at speed.

I sight in with, and carry 147 grain. I compete and train with 115 and 124gr (all 9mm).

For rifles, sight-in and long range only. Anything non-precision gets 55gr for me. I sight in and keep 62gr loaded for hd/hunting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mega touches on a good point... Rifle or Pistol?

Pistol is kind of a function verification for you carry load.

And rifle's big issue is point of impact shift.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I’m mostly concerned with my ar15.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you look for a good duty round you can often find a training ammo from the same manufacturer with similar ballistics (ie Federal LE223T3 and AE 62gr).
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Grain is just the weight and means almost nothing by itself. "(weight) is more accurate", "(weight) is better", "(weight) is more reliable" is incomplete, at best.

In pistols, best practice is to find a carry and practice combo that has a similar recoil impulse.
    In rifles, the combo that flies a similar trajectory at the distances you're shooting.

Harsh reality: The less ability you have the less it matters. If you can't manage recoil, track the sights, and shoot a group you'll never know the difference between loads.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Awesome! I appreciate the info. I’m new to this and I want to get my ducks in a row so I can take a class.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Awesome! I appreciate the info. I’m new to this and I want to get my ducks in a row so I can take a class.
    Depending on the class, marksmanship at the 100 yard line might be a consideration. I remember my blaster load having a different POI than my "better" ammo. It was minor issue for the hundred where our targets were checked.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m mostly concerned with my ar15.
    That won’t matter for practical purposes. But make sure your duty ammo likes your duty gun. Shoot a couple of mags to ensure it functions. POI will only matter for groups most likely. And sight in with Duty ammo.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When I was active in Virginia, our carry was 127 +p+, Va DCJS required that the qualification was done with either the duty load or an equivalent or x number fired per year of the same. We used NATO ball for all practice and later Speer 115 Lawmen which is a bit zippy. Training with the better ammunition was more realistic in my opinion as fundamentals such as sight tracking and recoil control better replicated the duty load. In my second job, we would get mainly PMC 115 ball which was easier to shoot as the above two where minimized. I do remember back in the day though tweaking some thing for matches like hand loaded ammo and recoil springs on the 5906. Yeah, what sight tracking-ran that bitch like a rented mule

Again, I think it does matter as when training, you are seeing "how fast you can go around the curve" Sight management and trigger control, you have to see what your limitations are and run it on the ragged edge.

We were fortunate as the average person was given the opportunity to fire around 2-2.5k per on pistol and carbine per year. Some of us with keys to the locker simply broke guns.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast