Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training VS “Duty” Ammo

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Doesnt matter for most people and most practice.

If you can shoot 4” or better at 25 yards, you may notice a difference at that range and further.
    If you are a good shooter, you may be able to quantify the difference on medium range targets at speed.

I sight in with, and carry 147 grain. I compete and train with 115 and 124gr (all 9mm).

For rifles, sight-in and long range only. Anything non-precision gets 55gr for me. I sight in and keep 62gr loaded for hd/hunting.

This is the harsh truth, some won't admit it though. Same goes for the threads on different AR zero's people fret over when most are unable to tell the difference anyhow. Funny when you see, "yeah, but the x zero is 1" closer at X range and it's the best" Yeah-sure buddy
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoj View Post
    I’m mostly concerned with my ar15.
    As others have said, it won't be a huge deal unless you start getting into practice at distance (say 2-300yd window and beyond). That being said without knowing which loadings you are shopping for, it's typically not that much big a price difference to just get a FMJ practice round in an equivalent grain weight of your serious ammo. This is especially true for rifle cartridges vs pistol.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    ST911...
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911
    In pistols, best practice is to find a carry and practice combo that has a similar recoil impulse.
    In rifles, the combo that flies a similar trajectory at the distances you're shooting.

Harsh reality: The less ability you have the less it matters. If you can't manage recoil, track the sights, and shoot a group you'll never know the difference between loads.
    This. This is everything. Period.
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 04-26-20 at 13:50.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    My question is what, if any, is the benefit in buying practice ammo that is the same grain as “duty”/SHTF/Self defense ammo?
    I’m mostly concerned with my ar15.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    In rifles, the combo that flies a similar trajectory at the distances you're shooting.

Out on a limb: It doesn't matter.

Unless your "duty" involves longer shots, any reasonable SHTF/SD use is probably going to be within 50yds (150ft), and almost certainly with 100yds (300ft).

At that range, POI shift or difference in trajectory between various loads is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    In pistols, best practice is to find a carry and practice combo that has a similar recoil impulse...

Harsh reality: The less ability you have the less it matters. If you can't manage recoil, track the sights, and shoot a group you'll never know the difference between loads.
    Best practice, OK, but... I would argue that the same manual of arms is more important, and shooting lighter loads (or even .22s) is good practice.

With a pistol, especially, I would expect any self-defense shooting to be within 10yds (30ft).

Group size (within, say, the A-zone of a USPSA target) at that range is irrelevant.

(The stat that I remember is that 90% of handgun shootings are within 7yds, and they're virtually all misses. Google: "Officer-Involved Shootings - Police Policy Studies Council.")
    Last edited by Bimmer; 04-27-20 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I dont think it matters for most people.

I have 64gr gold dot and 77gr loads as home defense, and practice and shoot matches almost exclusively with 55gr brass or steel cased ammo because its cheaper. Until I get around 400 yards or so, I'd say almost all 556 loads are so similar its hard to tell which one your shooting. Sometimes shooting the 77gr from the 10.5 at 300 yards vs a 16" with 55gr I can tell which bullet is faster, but even the hold overs are really really close. For practice ammo I'd say get what ever your gun will run the cheapest.

If I really know I am gonna shoot past 400 yards I dont even grab the 556 gun anymore. Creedmoor it is.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Getting out there and actually posting “groups” will let you know what you need to know.

For instance, at 50yds, 147 vs 115 gr will be about 1” difference.
    What size group do you shoot at 50yds? Will 1” change how you aim at a target at 50 yds?

For a rifle how much poi shift is there between rounds with your rifle?
    Will you be shooting off a bench or offhand? What kind of groups can you achieve?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-27-20 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    My question is what, if any, is the benefit in buying practice ammo that is the same grain as “duty”/SHTF/Self defense ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Will you be shooting off a bench or offhand?

I'm having a hard time imagining shooting off a bench in a SHTF or self-defense scenario!

Feedback Score
    Before I retired, I was picking up my practice ammo & the rangemaster was working up his next order & mentioned he was making sure that everything was going to be the 147 grain 9mm. I had never paid much attention, since I had been shooting 40 cal for years & reload my 40 about 5 grains on advice from a couple of guys that I worked with I started reloaded.

Like said above, practice is practice as for defensive purposes, & save precision for the range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12