Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight, Alabama Will Execute a Man Who Didn't Commit Murder

Feedback Score

Tonight, Alabama Will Execute a Man Who Didn't Commit Murder

Tonight, Alabama Will Execute a Man Who Didn't Commit Murder

https://reason.com/2020/03/05/tonigh...commit-murder/

Prosecutors contend that on June 17, 2004, the three officers, as well as Officer Michael Collins, arrived at the house, which they knew to be a place where people bought drugs, and were insulted by Woods. They ran his name through the police database and found he had an outstanding warrant from Fairfield, Alabama. In a letter to Alabama Governor Kay Ivey (R) contesting Woods' commutation request, Alabama Attorney General Steven T. Marshall says that Woods refused to come outside the house, and that officers followed him inside and arrested him on the Fairfield warrant. After they had Wood in handcuffs, however, Kerry Spencer, a friend of Woods who was already inside the house, opened fire on the officers, killing three and wounding Collins.

For his role in the incident, Woods' jury convicted him and voted 10-2 that he be executed.

Spencer, who is also on death row, told The Appeal that Woods is "100 percent innocent. All he did that day was get beat up and he ran."
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Executing people who don't deserve is why they'll sadly take away the death penalty one day.

It's a messed up case, and people have been asking questions about both sides, and what really happen for years now.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-06-20 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    He was a drug dealer and refused a police order so he got the death penalty. It’s bullshit.

Kay Ivey could’ve commuted the death sentence but nobody wants to appear weak on crime. It’s messed up for sure.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Look like he got a last minute stay of execution from the SCOTUS.

https://thehill.com/legal/486253-sup...of-alabama-man

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The stay was lifted w/o comment by the Supreme Court, from the article linked in the OP:

**UPDATE: The temporary stay of execution was lifted hours after it was enacted. The Supreme Court did not provide comment on why it dismissed the motions in Woods' case. Woods' execution resumed on Thursday evening. He was pronounced dead at 9:01 p.m.

UPDATE: In a last-minute order signed by Justice Clarence Thomas, the Supreme Court ordered a temporary stay in Woods' execution "pending further order of the undersigned or of the Court."
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I'm pro-death penalty but this seems way screwed up. ONLY way it could be justified is if it could be proven (and it wasn't) that there was some grand plan to allow himself to be taken into custody and his buddy then ambushes the "unsuspecting" officers.

Executing someone cannot be taken back. You have to be 100% sure in 100% of the cases that who the state is killing deserves it. I'm not talking mitigating circumstances, don't really give a shit about that (Mommy didn't love me enough, Daddy used to beat me, etc.). I'm talking the actual circumstances of the case itself.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Our government isn’t sufficiently evolved enough to be trusted with such punishment over us...
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Our government isn’t sufficiently evolved enough to be trusted with such punishment over us...
    Oh in many cases the guilt or innocence of the perp isn't in question. I have no problem whacking those scumbags. Contriving the law to "fit" a crime I have an issue with. Woods obviously didn't kill the cops, the other douchebag did. That is a known fact. Killing Woods over it is wrong. Killing the other guy? Sure, have at it, he's the one who did it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    The death penalty is not even a deterrent due to the fact its not carried out swiftly.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The death penalty is not even a deterrent due to the fact its not carried out swiftly.
    I used to be a staunch capital-punishment guy, but Im becoming less for this reason, and because of cases like this.

This case is pretty ****ed. So what happed to the guy that actually killed people?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast