Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strangest malfunction you witnessed or had

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Strangest malfunction you witnessed or had

So, witnessed and took the picture. Student unable to pull the trigger, first response is "hey, take it off safe!" Cleared it and with the aid of a light, saw this. Obvious poor/unstated carrier key screw, how it worked out and landed there is a mystery. For the non believers, this is not staged.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If that's a Bushmaster I'm not surprised.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nothing really strange.
    Had a 6920 that, when used with Independence 223 55gr fmj, would extract the empty up over the bolt while trying to feed a live round. It would not do that with any other ammo and my other 6920s didn't have that problem with Independence. (Made a topic about it here a while ago)

A looong time ago I had a Romanian RPK that had a tendency to walk the hammer pin out when shooting. Would walk far enough out that the hammer would tilt pretty far sideways but still able to cock and fire.
    Last edited by Arik; 02-11-20 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That one is bizarre. I likely would have been pissed as hell that I couldn't figure out the problem until I noticed the screw, and I'm sure that would have taken a while.

Probably not the strangest malfunction I've ever had, but the stragest I took a picture of. This was a new-ish DDM4V5 with either PMags or Lancers. Still not quite sure how it ended up above the bolt.

It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did a shooting course with Jeff Gonzalez back in 2009, a blown out primer got lodged on the forward end of the carrier that caused the rifle not to go into battery.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I was at first leaning on a popped primer once I saw the hammer was cocked. Funny when I asked several people if they've seen everything, "of course" then after the pic, "uh, oh wow"

The oddest sequence or circumstance was I set up a hard malfunction, don't remember which and when I cleared it and fired, ended up with an empty brass over bolt-what are those odds. Stuff happens, especially on pool hard use guns. Obvious, extraction, ejection and other potential contributing factors. Don't recall the gun, ammo and mags.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Cleared it and with the aid of a light, saw this.
    That takes the cake. By far the weirdest malfunction I've seen.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    That one is bizarre. I likely would have been pissed as hell that I couldn't figure out the problem until I noticed the screw, and I'm sure that would have taken a while.

Probably not the strangest malfunction I've ever had, but the stragest I took a picture of. This was a new-ish DDM4V5 with either PMags or Lancers. Still not quite sure how it ended up above the bolt.

Magazine.

Not causing the above, the user monkey f'ing the charge handle, causing more than one round ending up in there or on occasion a user beating the magazine like a baby harp seal and cause more than one round pop out (not resulting in above but a double feed). Remember, seat and tug.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post

I’ve had that with “well worn” USGI mags and weapons.

Here’s two I posted about last year:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=Stoppage
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=Stoppage

I also had some stoppages last year where the gun and mags were very dirty, and the gun had a Sprinco Blue, which was probably too much spring. The bolt seemed to be cycling just far enough, sometimes, to catch the extractor groove. It would then strip the round and proceed to mangle the brass. It wouldn’t do it every time. I hosed out the gun and mags, relubricated it, and swapped the spring for a Sprinco Hot White. Problem has not returned. I wish I had some pics of that, but it was raining hard as crap.

Had an OOB around 10 years ago with a PPSH when the bolt hit the primer on a misfeed. That sucked.

A year or two ago, I had a pop instead of a bang. Thought it was a squib. Nah, there was no flash hole drilled in the primer pocket. Factory ammo, Aguila, IIRC.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Alpha 17, in the business that is known as a BUB for Bolt Under Base stoppage. Could be linked to mag. If you have your mags numbered you might can track it to a mag problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast