Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strangest malfunction you witnessed or had

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    That one is bizarre. I likely would have been pissed as hell that I couldn't figure out the problem until I noticed the screw, and I'm sure that would have taken a while.

Probably not the strangest malfunction I've ever had, but the stragest I took a picture of. This was a new-ish DDM4V5 with either PMags or Lancers. Still not quite sure how it ended up above the bolt.

This actually happened to me a while back, and I’m pretty sure it was due to my monkeying with the charging handle. Mag was a brand new OKAY 20 rd.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Last Friday. At quals.

Bang. Double feed. Cleared. New mag. Bolt override.

What in the actual f....
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Alpha 17, in the business that is known as a BUB for Bolt Under Base stoppage. Could be linked to mag. If you have your mags numbered you might can track it to a mag problem.
    That was almost 6 years ago, and no issues since even with the same mags. I have my mags numbered to help track down problems like that, but it never happened again.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    The weirdest malfunction I experienced was with a LMT MWS possibly 8+ years ago. While shooting re-manufactured match ammo a primer popped, case ejected, new round was fed, but the bolt would not go into battery because the popped primer was stuck in the barrel extension.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Weird.

My oddest came in a SCAR 17. They had a bad batch of heat treated magazines which led to a small portion of the feed lip breaking off and floating around the innards. Had a couple of failure to fires with no primer strike - then it would fire. After it happened twice inspection revealed 2 piece of the feed lip in the weapon, one of which had gotten onto the bolt face to keep the weapon from functioning. Stopped for the day and found another magazine that had a crack developing.

Just glad it didn't make it's way into the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Weirdest one I saw was in 2013 at a rifle course. I think the student was running 5.56 ammo through a 223 barrel. Not sure exactly how it happened, but a primer popped out somewhere and worked it's way behind his safety (wichester ammo). After the iteration of fire, the student put his rifle on safe causing the primer to ignite which turned his semi auto gun into three round burst. Luckily the rifle was pointed downrange and the only thing hit was some cement on the ground.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    This actually happened to me a while back, and I’m pretty sure it was due to my monkeying with the charging handle. Mag was a brand new OKAY 20 rd.
    I and two buddies had a rash of those malfs two years ago with a new set of Okay 30s I had just bought. We all have 6920s and I maintain all of 'em and I always thought I did good.

I didn't think it was the mags, but some hard looking and switching to a set of Pmags I have cleared it up, to so far not return for any of us.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Hmm, good to know

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    My worst has been a blown primer getting lodged in the FCG, keeping me from pulling the trigger. That would have sucked in a moment of need.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus562 View Post
    Weirdest one I saw was in 2013 at a rifle course. I think the student was running 5.56 ammo through a 223 barrel. Not sure exactly how it happened, but a primer popped out somewhere and worked it's way behind his safety (wichester ammo). After the iteration of fire, the student put his rifle on safe causing the primer to ignite which turned his semi auto gun into three round burst. Luckily the rifle was pointed downrange and the only thing hit was some cement on the ground.
    Morpheus, I was working that class. It was 556 ammo, it was a .223 leade, and it was a primer anvil under the trigger. No-one present had ever seen, nor heard of, such a thing ever happening, but to quote Elmer Keith; "Hell, I was there."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12