Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Short barrel 7.62 AK zero

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    3,249
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Short barrel 7.62 AK zero

    I traded into a new PSA AK-P GF3 yesterday. It's a 7.62 AK pistol that has a fixed rear sight.

    What is the best combat accuracy type zero for this gun? I like the 50 yard zero for my 16 inch 5.56 guns because of the flat shooting out to 300 yards. Is there a similar type zero? Obviously I know the trajectory is going to be far from a 16 inch 5.56, but Im looking for the best zero for 0-200 yards.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

    IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    833
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use a 50/100m zero on all my AKs. You have a deviation of about -2" at PBR to somewhere around +7-8" at 200m. I rarely take my AKs beyond that. I rarely take my ARs beyond that either simply because where I live is pretty densely wooded and the likelihood of seeing a threat past 200 yards is very slim. But I digress......

    The 50/100m zero is for a 16" rifle, but it translates fairly well over to short barrels as well. 7.62x39 velocity isn't affected as much by short barrels like we see in 5.56. It's somewhere around a 220 FPS difference between my 16" rifle and Draco, which they call a 12" barrel but if you measure it the way the ATF determines barrel length, with a rod touching the bolt face, it's closer to 11.5". What that translates to is an indiscernible difference in POA/POI inside 100 meters, a little noticeable difference at 150 meters, and a little more at 200.

    It's a pretty forgiving zero for 7.62x39 AKs and one that allows me to shoot, get hits, and not have to do any maths. I don't like doing maths.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Canyon Ferry MT
    Posts
    154
    Feedback Score
    0
    I zero'd my 10.5" AR 7.62x39 at 35 yards.

    100 yards, + 2.0"
    200 yards, - 3.5"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,706
    Feedback Score
    0
    Standard AKM;

    Set rear sight on "2", zero at 25 yards then set sight to "1" and confirm at 100 meters or 109 yards.

    Also you can set rear sight on "1" and shoot at 50 yards which would put at near zero for 100 meters.

    Or set sight on "2", zero at 25 yards, then set sight on "1" and confirm at 50 yards- if you don't have a 100 meter range.

    Once sighted in slide rear sight back to "N", "P", "S" for a 250 meter zero- not 300 meters like western nations use.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SWMT
    Posts
    7,679
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Standard AKM;

    Set rear sight on "2", zero at 25 yards then set sight to "1" and confirm at 100 meters or 109 yards.

    Also you can set rear sight on "1" and shoot at 50 yards which would put at near zero for 100 meters.

    Or set sight on "2", zero at 25 yards, then set sight on "1" and confirm at 50 yards- if you don't have a 100 meter range.

    Once sighted in slide rear sight back to "N", "P", "S" for a 250 meter zero- not 300 meters like western nations use.
    You might want to re-read the original post:

    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I traded into a new PSA AK-P GF3 yesterday. It's a 7.62 AK pistol that has a fixed rear sight.

    What is the best combat accuracy type zero for this gun? I like the 50 yard zero for my 16 inch 5.56 guns because of the flat shooting out to 300 yards. Is there a similar type zero? Obviously I know the trajectory is going to be far from a 16 inch 5.56, but Im looking for the best zero for 0-200 yards.
    For a 200 yard point blank range, I'm finding guys zero'ing their 7.62x39s everywhere from 25 to 200 yards (with the 200 yard zero giving a MPBR - POI +/- 3" of POA - of 230 yards. These numbers may be inaccurate for your use, given the difference in muzzle velocity, but it looks like a zero close to 200 yards - or about 3" high at 100 yards - will give you a MPBR of c. 200 yards with a 7.62x39.
    " Political tags such as [...], communist, democrat, [...], fascist, liberal, conservative, [...] are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort. "
    - Robert Heinlein -

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,706
    Feedback Score
    0
    Doesn't matter if it has a fixed rear sight. You still have to zero at shorter range then fine tune it at a longer range. So I suggest starting at a 25 yard target for a 200 meter zero for an AKM with rear sight set on "2". However because this rifle has a fixed rear sight and a non typical barrel length- then just figure you'll be between a 100 meter zero and a 200 meter zero. Then just fine tune it at the exact distance you want after initial short range zero. I suggest 100 meters because you'd be lucky to hit anything with it at 75 yards anyway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,075
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Doesn't matter if it has a fixed rear sight. You still have to zero at shorter range then fine tune it at a longer range. So I suggest starting at a 25 yard target for a 200 meter zero for an AKM with rear sight set on "2". However because this rifle has a fixed rear sight and a non typical barrel length- then just figure you'll be between a 100 meter zero and a 200 meter zero. Then just fine tune it at the exact distance you want after initial short range zero. I suggest 100 meters because you'd be lucky to hit anything with it at 75 yards anyway.
    Agreed, the fixed irons on the AK-P are pretty useless past 50-75 yards. Luckily the pistol comes with a railed top cover so just throw on a low mount RDS and zero at, say, 25 yards. That's about +4" at 100 yards, crossing again at around 200 yards, and 9" low at 250.

    You're at between 2000 fps and 2100fps MV out of the AK-P's 10" barrel, depending on ammo.
    Last edited by caporider; 02-16-20 at 13:45.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •