Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum. Does it deserve its reputation?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've known several older cops who say how great .357 magnum was from a service revolver. Some say it was the 125 gr SJHP load, others because of earlier 158 gr loads.

My contention is its SJHP performance at the time was usually being compared with .38 special SWC, LRN, and SWCHP but also 9mm ball and .45 ball.

I also think that the sound and blast had a slight psychological effect on the person shot or shot at.

And compared to those others I mentioned it probably be would slightly more effective in some scenarios.

But does it deserve the reputation it has among many who witnessed its performance in the past?
    .357 is highly dependent on barrel length. From a 6 inch barrel, it's serious business. From a snubnose, you're better off with almost anything else. The recoil to terminal performance ratio just isn't there.

If you're bound and determined to have a revolver, 357 kind of makes sense. But 10mm is still pretty superior in almost every way. I think the main appeal of revolvers in most of the last century has always been that they can deliver more powerful rounds than automatics, so in my mind the only really logical reason to choose a revolver is if you want more power than what a practical semi auto can deliver, so .44 mag makes more sense to me.
    Last edited by okie; 01-10-21 at 04:07.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    You can see where the cartridge stop should prevent the next round feeding, but mine will let a second round pop right into the action. I also just shoot 357 brass with milder loads rather than fighting it to run 38 Spl.

Andy

Andy
    I see by your location that you are too far from me to check the rifle over in person.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can disassemble the rifle and clean the area where the cartridge stop hinges. The slightest build up of dirt can interfere with the cartridge stop engaging the case head properly. I stoned my assemble to increase case head engagement by 0.020" and it resolved the feeding problem.

If you take the rifle apart, do it in a clean area where you can lay parts out on a light colored surface. Be prepared to deal with some very small parts that are easy to lose if you are not careful.

If you are uncomfortable with disassembling the rifle, you can try cleaning the cartridge stop with the action open. Spray on cleaner followed by compressed air can often clean the cartridge stop good enough to resolve feeding issues. The critical part to clean is the hinged area.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I see by your location that you are too far from me to check the rifle over in person.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can disassemble the rifle and clean the area where the cartridge stop hinges. The slightest build up of dirt can interfere with the cartridge stop engaging the case head properly. I stoned my assemble to increase case head engagement by 0.020" and it resolved the feeding problem.

If you take the rifle apart, do it in a clean area where you can lay parts out on a light colored surface. Be prepared to deal with some very small parts that are easy to lose if you are not careful.

If you are uncomfortable with disassembling the rifle, you can try cleaning the cartridge stop with the action open. Spray on cleaner followed by compressed air can often clean the cartridge stop good enough to resolve feeding issues. The critical part to clean is the hinged area.
    Thank you, I will have to re-look it. I had it apart a few years ago to replace a part (loading gate spring?) and I got it back together with no leftover parts, so it's within my abilities. It may be that a simple cleaning or judicious polishing will fix it, I seem to remember the stop seemed sluggish.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-10-21 at 09:45.

Feedback Score
    Great info T2C. What HD .357 ammo do you recommend for a lever gun?
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Great info T2C. What HD .357 ammo do you recommend for a lever gun?
    I prefer 125g JSP Remington for function and muzzle velocity and will buy more when it becomes available again. If you are a reloader, the Hornady 125g XTP bullet is accurate and can be loaded to close to the same average velocity as the Remington 125g JSP.

Most of the .357 Magnum 158g JSP loads I've tested gained about 350 fps over published handgun velocities, so I would buy 158g ammunition if that is all I could find.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    .357 is highly dependent on barrel length. From a 6 inch barrel, it's serious business. From a snubnose, you're better off with almost anything else. The recoil to terminal performance ratio just isn't there.

If you're bound and determined to have a revolver, 357 kind of makes sense. But 10mm is still pretty superior in almost every way. I think the main appeal of revolvers in most of the last century has always been that they can deliver more powerful rounds than automatics, so in my mind the only really logical reason to choose a revolver is if you want more power than what a practical semi auto can deliver, so .44 mag makes more sense to me.
    Why would someone prefer a revolver?
    Well, with a revolver you leave no spent brass to be picked up. A revolver can fire pretty much any bullet design, since it doesn’t have to feed cartridges into the chamber. A revolver doesn’t have a magazine, which is a pistol’s weakest link. A revolver doesn’t depend on lubrication as much as a pistol. Most revolvers are pretty accurate since the sights are solidly mounted to the barrel. Of course revolvers have some disadvantages too. On a side note, I shoot 158 grain bullets as I’ve read of people shooting 125 grain bullets experiencing wear on the underside of the top strap with the lighter bullets.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

from my reading, 10mm is not superior rather, they are pretty close. 10mm was developed to mimic 357 out of autloaders. I admit to not doing my own testing but there is plenty out there and see no 'superior' in it. To say something is superior, it must be materially better and 10mm doesn't hit that mark.

I can get some serious velocity with 158gr out of my 6" 686 and it's ridiculously accurate. I also know it's a proven round

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    from my reading, 10mm is not superior rather, they are pretty close. 10mm was developed to mimic 357 out of autloaders. I admit to not doing my own testing but there is plenty out there and see no 'superior' in it. To say something is superior, it must be materially better and 10mm doesn't hit that mark.

I can get some serious velocity with 158gr out of my 6" 686 and it's ridiculously accurate. I also know it's a proven round
    That’s based on today’s loads. When it first came to market, the 10mm was closer to .41 Magnum territory.

I think that has to do with the projectiles used today, which are likely just repurposed from .40 S&W. Pushed too fast and they won’t do their job right.

People who hunt with it are going to be ok with grabbing a box of heavy weight hard cast.

I doubt 10mm is a big enough market to spend the R&D on making the perfect 200gr bullet open up at 1400fps.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post

I'm saying a 10mm autoloader is superior to a .357 revolver. The ballistics are very much the same, but the 10mm makes it possible to get those ballistics in an autoloader without sacrificing so much for a shorter barrel. Same way 9mm is superior to .38 special.

Feedback Score
    I'm saying a 10mm autoloader is superior to a .357 revolver. The ballistics are very much the same, but the 10mm makes it possible to get those ballistics in an autoloader without sacrificing so much for a shorter barrel. Same way 9mm is superior to .38 special.
    I don’t know much about the 10mm, but keep in mind today’s 357 ammo (unless maybe it’s Buffalo Bore brand) is downloaded from the early cartridges because decades ago it was wearing out the less robustly made revolvers.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast