Thread: .357 Magnum. Does it deserve its reputation?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Back when revolvers ruled the world and the 357 was king, it wasn't just about round nosed (FMJ or lead) versus hollow points. It was also about semi-wadcutters which are very efficent at killing and did so more consistently than the hollow points of the day. The semi-wadcutter may not create as much tissue stretching on impact as a hollow point does when it expands, but it does a good job destroying tissue along its wound path. Back that up with the velocities the 357 Magnum is capable of and you have a very effective round.

Whether the bullet is a hollow point or a semi-wadcutter, velocity does make a difference. I've seen critters hit with a 38 Special and a 357 Magnum. Using identical bullets, the higher impact velocity of the 357 caused greater tissue destruction. The 357 caused greater tissue destruction than the 9mm or 45 ACP. The 357 also has greater penetration.

Yes, the 357 lives up to its reputation for terminal performance. It also lives up to its reputation for its tremendous muzzle blast, excessive recoil, difficulty to control in rapid fire and when chambered in the King of Revolvers, the massive Smith & Wesson N frame, very heavy.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-01-20 at 22:28.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American