Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum. Does it deserve its reputation?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Back when revolvers ruled the world and the 357 was king, it wasn't just about round nosed (FMJ or lead) versus hollow points. It was also about semi-wadcutters which are very efficent at killing and did so more consistently than the hollow points of the day. The semi-wadcutter may not create as much tissue stretching on impact as a hollow point does when it expands, but it does a good job destroying tissue along its wound path. Back that up with the velocities the 357 Magnum is capable of and you have a very effective round.

Whether the bullet is a hollow point or a semi-wadcutter, velocity does make a difference. I've seen critters hit with a 38 Special and a 357 Magnum. Using identical bullets, the higher impact velocity of the 357 caused greater tissue destruction. The 357 caused greater tissue destruction than the 9mm or 45 ACP. The 357 also has greater penetration.

Yes, the 357 lives up to its reputation for terminal performance. It also lives up to its reputation for its tremendous muzzle blast, excessive recoil, difficulty to control in rapid fire and when chambered in the King of Revolvers, the massive Smith & Wesson N frame, very heavy.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-01-20 at 22:28.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    did someone say velocity didn't matter as much? That is simply not true and you won't beat physics where mass and velocity DO matter.

modern 357 is downloaded, 1325-1400 is standard today but in the 30s-60s reloading and ballistics manuals, it's avg was 1550 using 2400 and some hotter with psi 35k. That 200 fps faster with 158gr absolutely has significant merit. Barrel length for this 8" with manuals showing less than 50fps slower out 6" barrels. Initially developed to go through heavier barriers like car doors, crude attempts at body armor and the like. To dismiss or consider the 357 not adequate today as compared to 9s etc is absurd. Hell, even compared to 10mm it's right there and 10mm only really begins to outclass in downrange energy when drop to 125gr compared to higher gr 10mm. Sure bullet type matters but its all relative today.

Feedback Score
    Many years ago I shot a deer with a 160 grain soft point at 20 yards with a hot .357 load. Zero expansion. In one side and out the other at .357. If I ever get the chance again it will be with something hollow point in the 145 range.
    kwg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    ... mass and velocity DO matter.

... downrange energy...
    Modern terminal ballistics is focused on the damage a bullet does to the target, not energy numbers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Energy is the ability to do work. It must be usefully expended for the desired effect rather than as heat. Energy is the antecedent of effect rather than its measure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Modern terminal ballistics is focused on the damage a bullet does to the target, not energy numbers.
    and.....

this thread is full on retarded with some of the comments and intimations. I can get 'modern terminal ballistics' and still have that energy with a proper 357 load.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "still have that energy" makes it sound like you believe the "energy" is doing something to the target. I do not believe that is true. A handgun bullet crushes/cuts tissue as it passes through. An expanded HP crushes more than a RN bullet, and it needs enough penetration to get through vital tissue. Beyond that (until you get into rifle velocity) more energy can only make the bullet expand slightly larger and/or penetration to be deeper. Neither offers any significant improvement in terminal performance unless more penetration is needed for larger animals.

Google “Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness” for a good place to start if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    and.....

this thread is full on retarded with some of the comments and intimations. I can get 'modern terminal ballistics' and still have that energy with a proper 357 load.
    What does that actually mean? If a modern .357 JHP goes to a similar depth and make the same sized whole on expansion as a 9mm and both equally reliable for doing it, what is the "energy" you speak of and what is it achieving? Educate the "retards" here maybe cuz you're obviously so well informed on the topic...
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-22-20 at 08:31.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    "still have that energy" makes it sound like you believe the "energy" is doing something to the target. I do not believe that is true. A handgun bullet crushes/cuts tissue as it passes through. An expanded HP crushes more than a RN bullet, and it needs enough penetration to get through vital tissue. Beyond that (until you get into rifle velocity) more energy can only make the bullet expand slightly larger and/or penetration to be deeper. Neither offers any significant improvement in terminal performance unless more penetration is needed for larger animals.

Google “Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness” for a good place to start if you are interested.
    Probably believes in knock down power too. URL to that seminal doc everyone should read before calling people retards:

http://gundata.org/images/fbi-handgun-ballistics.pdf
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Further, it appears that many people are predisposed to fall down when shot. This phenomenon is independent of caliber, bullet, or hit location, and is beyond the control of the shooter. It can only be proven in the act, not predicted. It requires only two factors to be effected: a shot and cognition of being shot by the target. Lacking either one, people are not at all predisposed to fall down and don’t. Given this predisposition, the choice of caliber and bullet is essentially irrelevant. People largely fall down when shot, and the apparent predisposition to do so exists with equal force among the good guys as among the bad. The causative factors are most likely psychological in origin. Thousands of books, movies and television shows have educated the general population that when shot, one is supposed to fall down. 38 He defines a one shot stop as one in which the subject dropped, gave up, or did not run more than 10 feet."

I found this part to be very interesting.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast