Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum. Does it deserve its reputation?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You should be able to take a deer with a 158gr SJHP from a lever action.
    I just picked up a box of .357 Magnum 158g SJHP today. I believe I will use it to chronograph rounds fired from a revolver with 4-5/8" barrel, a lever action rifle with a 20" barrel and a lever action rifle with a 24" barrel to determine differences in muzzle velocity.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I just picked up a box of .357 Magnum 158g SJHP today. I believe I will use it to chronograph rounds fired from a revolver with 4-5/8" barrel, a lever action rifle with a 20" barrel and a lever action rifle with a 24" barrel to determine differences in muzzle velocity.
    If I remember correctly, it is more the trajectory that is limiting rather than velocity/energy. Seems like a bullet fired from a lever gun has more velocity at 100 yds. than a 6” revolver has at the muzzle (158 grain 357 magnum). So at 100 yds. should still drop a deer with good bullet placement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I just picked up a Uberti 1873 chambered in .357 Magnum. It has a 20" barrel and my EMF 1892 has a 24" barrel. I plan on chronographing Remington 125g JSP in the 1873 to determine how the muzzle velocity compares to the EMF 1892. The EMF 1892 chronographs at 2,125 fps compared to 1,450 fps published velocity.
    I realize sectional density is different but 125gr 357 @ 2,125fps is very close to 123gr 7.62x39 @ 2400fps

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I realize sectional density is different but 125gr 357 @ 2,125fps is very close to 123gr 7.62x39 @ 2400fps

According to Buffalo Bore, their 158 grain JHP out of a Marlin 1894 has a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps. If it’s in stock that is...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You should be able to take a deer with a 158gr SJHP from a lever action.
    Not a big big lever action guy myself, but I could see owning a semi auto carbine in .357 a great all around ranch rifle kinda thing that does not scream scary black evil rifle.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Not a big big lever action guy myself, but I could see owning a semi auto carbine in .357 a great all around ranch rifle kinda thing that does not scream scary black evil rifle.
    That would be sweet. Something like the Ruger Carbine .44 mag, but in .357 mag with improved accuracy.

Maybe it could take Coonan 1911 .357 mag or Desert Eagle mags since they already exist?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    That would be sweet. Something like the Ruger Carbine .44 mag, but in .357 mag with improved accuracy.

Maybe it could take Coonan 1911 .357 mag or Desert Eagle mags since they already exist?
    What's odd is how few exist like that, yet the .357 benefits more from the longer barrel than any other handgun calibers. Tons of 9mm and even .40, and .44, yet nadda for .357 which gets really potent out of a longer barrel.

Talk about a niche not filled.

Me personally, if I'm going to be limited to one shot before I have to reload via a bolt or a lever, it's gonna be a potent, 308 minimum.

Either I get one rnd into X that has a very high probability of not requiring another rapidly, or I can get multiple rnds into the target quickly using something below 308.

That's just my POV on the topic and your et al mileage will vary.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This seems relevant to this discussion.

Draw your own conclusions based on the information provided. Not affiliated with this individual in any way. Suggest watching at least the meat targets which start at the 10:30 mark.

Last edited by HKGuns; 12-30-20 at 12:26.

Feedback Score

Me personally, if I'm going to be limited to one shot before I have to reload via a bolt or a lever, it's gonna be a potent, 308 minimum.

Either I get one rnd into X that has a very high probability of not requiring another rapidly, or I can get multiple rnds into the target quickly using something below 308.

This is why 12 ga pump action shotguns sell so well. 😎

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think this would come down to the same argument of 9 vs 45. Big, heavy and slow(er) vs smaller, lighter and faster. Or 556 vs ??

I don't have a chronograph but using T2C's numbers .....puts the 357 somewhere in the 30 carbine range in ft/lbs.

7.62x33 110gr ball 18in barrel @ 2000fps and just under 1000 ft/lbs of energy
    Vs
    9x33 (357) various weight and barrel length (16-24in) will get about 1000ft/lbs of energy.
    Now when you look at 556 the ft/lbs of energy isn't that much more. It can be because of so many variables like weight and barrel length but a typical 193 is something like 1400ft/lbs out of a 20in barrel. Meanwhile with the 357 from an 18in barrel using Remington 125-grain JHPs gets 2038 fps and 1153 lb-ft (online info). 9+1

I wouldn't trade any semi auto for a lever in a SD situation, this should be obvious. But knowing that I'm getting ballistics close to 556 in only 2in more of barrel length and often close to double the bullet weight. I wouldn't feel underguned. Granted there's something to be said about confidence in a larger(er) caliber. In the same SD situation....if my front door were to be kicked in....300gr 45-70 with around 3500ft/lbs of energy. Put that where the center of the door would have been and I don't think too many two legged critters are going to brush it off

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast