Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum. Does it deserve its reputation?

Feedback Score
    Well, when I shoot things with one of my wheel guns loaded up with a .357 versus a .38, I can tell the difference of the impact....lol, and in my hand. Sometimes these days, I think people get too caught up in stats about one round versus another. Usually, bigger is better, but with most humans, getting shot at all tends to make us go "ouch", and find some cover.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    When we moved to the mag round the Sherriff was at lest smart he bypassed the 125's and went straight to the 145 grain Silvertip Winchester, we had been using the old "Highway" rounds, which where nothing more then hot 38spl's loaded with the still older 200 grain round nose. One thing to remember about those stat's on usage, most agencies, that issued the 357 chambered revolvers mandated 38 spl +P 125's
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    The issue round for my Sheriffs Depart., was the 125 grn. HP mag round. You were allowed to carry what ever you wanted in your revolver, 99% stayed with the 125grn, because we had good luck with it. While the city next to us was using 38 special hollowpoints and they didn't have as good a track record.

But all that is old history, not even relevant to today.

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, the reputation is well deserved.

Today, the limited ammo onboard a revolver is not a sensible choice for duty weapons, or arguably, personal carry. But the 357 Mag, with a SJHP at 1400-1600 fps from 4" to 6" revolvers is still very potent.

Back when revolvers dominated law enforcement, expanding bullets for 38Spl and autos were not as advanced as today, but the 125gr SJHP at 4" or 6" was very lethal, and still is. All that exposed lead is of no consequence in a revolver, and really let it open up at 357 Mag velocities.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've known several older cops who say how great .357 magnum was from a service revolver. Some say it was the 125 gr SJHP load, others because of earlier 158 gr loads.

My contention is its SJHP performance at the time was usually being compared with .38 special SWC, LRN, and SWCHP but also 9mm ball and .45 ball.

I also think that the sound and blast had a slight psychological effect on the person shot or shot at.

And compared to those others I mentioned it probably be would slightly more effective in some scenarios.

But does it deserve the reputation it has among many who witnessed its performance in the past?
    Yes. People weren't so fat back then. The lightning stops were far more common than the officer Coates failures. It would expand and fragment in 125gr format from 4-6" revolvers, and provide significant wounding in the typical torso/upper thoracic hit.

Feedback Score
    I 100% disagree with the idea that in non .357 mag, everyone was using ball ammo. In my department every one ran HP in all guns. but the vice and narcs that were dumb enough to stick with the department issue Walther ppk's that only fed ball ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I 100% disagree with the idea that in non .357 mag, everyone was using ball ammo. In my department every one ran HP in all guns. but the vice and narcs that were dumb enough to stick with the department issue Walther ppk's that only fed ball ammo.
    Any shootings with the non-.357 guns?

How did they do?

I never cared for PP's in .380 because they are no fun to shoot. I haven't fired one in 7.65mm but I'm sure it would be much more pleasant.

Feedback Score
    We had a few shootings with other calibers, but based on memory I think the 357 mag had a bunch more 1 shot stops. Now the unknown is was it because it was so much easier to shoot the 9mm or 45acp., that the deputy was able to get more rounds off. But the 357 mags had such recoil that the deputy shot once and then by the time they recovered from recoil the suspect was down.

I stand by what I have always said the caliber of your handgun nor the ammo that is in it, will not determine the outcome of your gun fight.

Feedback Score
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/w...ics-gel-works/

I stole this from the My Retro LaFrance M16k Clone Project thread.

It get very interesting 5 minute mark to 10 minute about the research Federal has done on bullets.

Why velocity today doesn't matter that much. Bottom line all the calibers are made to do about the same thing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    We had a few shootings with other calibers, but based on memory I think the 357 mag had a bunch more 1 shot stops. Now the unknown is was it because it was so much easier to shoot the 9mm or 45acp., that the deputy was able to get more rounds off. But the 357 mags had such recoil that the deputy shot once and then by the time they recovered from recoil the suspect was down.

I stand by what I have always said the caliber of your handgun nor the ammo that is in it, will not determine the outcome of your gun fight.
    A great read and still relevant:

Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness Special Agent UREY W. PATRICK FIREARMS TRAINING UNIT FBI ACADEMY QUANTICO, VIRGINIA:

http://gundata.org/images/fbi-handgun-ballistics.pdf
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast