Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norinco NDM 86 (Dragunov)

Feedback Score

Norinco NDM 86 (Dragunov)

This is the first rifle I ever bought, back in 1993. The LGS was a real gun nut, a wealth of knowledge with great stories and anecdotes to boot. He attended a lot of courses in the US, Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor and Massad Ayoob et al. He was an instructor too, and Glock hired him to train the Paris Gendarmerie when they bought Glocks.

Anyway, long story short, he mentioned this rifle, stating it was actually better made than the Russian version. Only 10 or so had been imported back then in Switzerland and a customer of his was selling one. So I jumped on it, although it was bloody expensive, $ 2000.-, and I was only 25 and just starting a career.

It was impressive too, as it came in a case with 5 mags, sling, scope, cleaning kit and tools. The bayonet was missing (I think they shipped without) so I added an original Russian Dragunov bayonet I found at a gun show later.

Here is an internet photo of the complete package, not mine, since I immediately stashed the case in the attic.

I shot it a lot, there was a time when one could find cheap crates of tin canned milsurp ammo from China, Russia and Czechoslovakia. Sadly this is no longer the case.

The 7.62 X 54R is ballistically similar to .308 Win I believe. The rifle is very light, so recoil and kick is very noticeable, especially since the butt is small and narrow, compared to an M14.

Anyway, pics :

The scope mount / system works actually great, and I remove the scope when cleaning the rifle, and it will not lose zero when reinstalled.

I just found out that KFS ATLGA is the importer, Keng’s Firearms Specialty, Inc. in Atlanta, Ga.

http://kfsindustries.com/about/company-history/

In Norinco fashion, the serial number or part of it is stamped on various parts, except for the stock which has a different number

Scope is only 4 X magnification, with the Dragunov reticle, which can be illuminated with a switch.

Last edited by OLIAR15; 02-14-20 at 00:56.

Feedback Score
    Awesome rifle. I had several opportunities to buy them back in the day and passed because I thought they were overpriced. I've since learned from my mistakes. What's your location? You mention Switzerland, but the import mark is KFS. Are you in Switzerland and the rifle was imported there from the US?

Feedback Score
    Have you tried hand loads to see just how accurate the rifle can be?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Awesome rifle. I've been bitten by the Norinco bug recently.

You have one of the coolest gun collections I've seen.

Feedback Score
    Mine isn't Norinco, it's the Russian hunting version. It's accurate enough for it's intended purpose. It's really more of a DMR than a dedicated sniping rifle. I do enjoy it though. Mine came with the wood but I wanted the newer Russian polymer. Had to buy it from a store in New Zealand. (only place I could find it at the time).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Awesome rifle. I had several opportunities to buy them back in the day and passed because I thought they were overpriced. I've since learned from my mistakes. What's your location? You mention Switzerland, but the import mark is KFS. Are you in Switzerland and the rifle was imported there from the US?
    That’s correct

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ashooter View Post
    Have you tried hand loads to see just how accurate the rifle can be?
    Nope, I’ve only ever handloaded for pistols, not rifles. It groups abt. 1 1/2 inch 5 shots at 100 meters with mil surp ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Mine isn't Norinco, it's the Russian hunting version. It's accurate enough for it's intended purpose. It's really more of a DMR than a dedicated sniping rifle. I do enjoy it though. Mine came with the wood but I wanted the newer Russian polymer. Had to buy it from a store in New Zealand. (only place I could find it at the time).

Nice. I miss those cans of mil surp ammo, supply has dried out here in Switzerland

Most agree it’s a DMR rifle, however many poorer countries / armies or rebel forces use it as a sniper rifle, as they can’t afford / don’t have access to fancy sniper rifles

Feedback Score
    I just drooled on my iPad.

One of the guns I always wanted but never grabbed.

It makes me want to go beat my PSL.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Just Awesome! Hows the trigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast