Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 316

Thread: CORVID-19 Preps?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    746
    Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

    CORVID-19 Preps?

    I already have some “flu” preps in place, but I added a few more N95 masks. Anyone else doing anything specific in anticipation of the CORVID-19 making its way over here?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,665
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Lots of hand sanitizer, some splash goggles, wet wipes and nitrile gloves.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-13-20 at 20:00.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

    "He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,217
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't worry about COVID-19. I do wash my hands a lot. Of course, it's flu season, and I work in a hospital, so....I do that anyway.

    If and when there's a vaccine, "they" will probably put me toward the head of the line when it's distributed. I'll likely go ahead and get it, especially if it ever gets to the US in significant numbers. Like most hospitals, the ones that I work in require all employees to get a flu shot in the fall. You can opt not to, but if you so choose then you have to wear an N95 mask at all times where you might contact patients. In the unlikely event that COVID-19 becomes an issue here then I'm sure vaccination will be required for it too.
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-13-20 at 20:56.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    321
    Feedback Score
    0
    Basic preps are just my everyday mundane practices: hand washing /hand sanitizer readily available / avoid close contact w/most people when out and about.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,217
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Couple of things to note:

    • hand washing (with soap) for less that 20 seconds is of marginal benefit
    • use of a hand sanitizer with less that 60% alcohol is of negligible benefit
    • best benefit is hand washing with soap for 20 seconds, then using alcohol-based hand sanitizer
    • the high speed air blowers one sees in bathrooms actually deposit more fecal coliforms on your hands than when you walked into that bathroom, according to before-and-after hand cultures.
    • Avoid, the high-speed hand dryers and use the no-touch paper towel dispensers that are now common.
    • paper surgical masks are pretty much useless. Get an N95. Better yet...get several and change regularly.



    Note that one of the most common hand sanitizers around is Purell Advanced hand sanitizer. It is 50-55% alcohol and they were recently cautioned by the FDA for calling their product viricidal or bactericidal (because it's not).

    Also note that the cautions above regarding high speed hand dryers are also true of the Dyson blowers that advertise HEPA filtration.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    340
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Lots of hand sanitizer, some splash goggles, wet wipes and nitrile gloves.
    Exactly this. Although I messed up a little: I bought maybe 40 N95 masks a few years back, and didn’t realize that they get hot AF, and they now make “cool flow” ones that are much more comfortable to wear for long periods. And of course now they’re not in stock anywhere. Oh well

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    340
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    [*] fecal coliforms
    [*]paper surgical masks are pretty much useless. Get an N95. Better yet...get several and change regularly.
    [*] I like coliflower, never had that kind.
    [*] can you spray or wipe the exterior of an N95 mask with Lysol and kill pathogens that may have gotten on it? I understand it’s best just to ditch it and grab a new one, but if that’s not an option, could you feasibly refurbish one with Lysol?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,217
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    [*] I like coliflower, never had that kind.
    [*] can you spray or wipe the exterior of an N95 mask with Lysol and kill pathogens that may have gotten on it? I understand it’s best just to ditch it and grab a new one, but if that’s not an option, could you feasibly refurbish one with Lysol?

    No. Be aware that the industrial-use N95 masks that you bought at Home Depot and labeled "For Industrial Use" are different than the FDA-approved N95 masks used in healthcare settings and aren't approved for that use because of their lack of demonstrated effectiveness against pathogens. Quality control is aimed at dust and fiberglass particles, not viruses. The N95 masks that are suitable for medical use are single-use items.

    The cooler masks you talk of have an exhalation valve. Also not for medical use.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    340
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    No. Be aware that the industrial-use N95 masks that you bought at Home Depot and labeled "For Industrial Use" are different than the FDA-approved N95 masks used in healthcare settings and aren't approved for that use because of their lack of demonstrated effectiveness against pathogens. Quality control is aimed at dust and fiberglass particles, not viruses. The N95 masks that are suitable for medical use are single-use items.

    The cooler masks you talk of have an exhalation valve. Also not for medical use.
    Will they at least block fecal coliforms?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,217
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Will they at least block fecal coliforms?
    If that's a concern of yours, perhaps you should re-evaluate your lifestyle first.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •