Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CORVID-19 Preps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    If that's a concern of yours, perhaps you should re-evaluate your lifestyle first.
    Touché. LoL

Feedback Score
    I see the benefits of a mask just as a physical barrier to keep you from putting your hands near your mouth without washing them which is the easiest way to get sick.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Note that one of the most common hand sanitizers around is Purell Advanced hand sanitizer. It is 50-55% alcohol and they were recently cautioned by the FDA for calling their product viricidal or bactericidal (because it's not).
    One of my wife’s micro students did a project with cultures and consumer hand sanitizer. Found it ineffective. Contacted the company, then the manufacturer and eventually was able to speak with some lab types. “We already told them that” they said. Kid was baffled.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The effectiveness of hand sanitizers is entirely related to the percent of alcohol in it. 65-70% is the minimum that will kill harmful bacteria and viruses in a useful time frame. The problem is that alcohol in higher percentage is very drying to the skin, so people don’t like to use it. So the companies like GoJo (Purell) have two choices....keep the percentage of alcohol low, or add emollients to mitigate the skin effects. Emollient are expensive, putting the company at a financial disadvantage in the market place, and especially when it comes to bidding for placement at large health care facilities. Most hospitals have thousands of hands sanitizer dispensers around the place. Not just bathrooms, but outside patient rooms and offices. Where I work, we have both inside every exam room and outside as well. And not just hospitals. They’re in stores all over the place too. My auto mechanic has one in the waiting area. It’s huge market, and the pennies saved by dropping the alcohol content and avoiding emollients really adds up. Big hospital system in the Twin Cities spent millions on a “Foam In — Foam Out” campaign, installing 10’s of thousands of Purell motion-sensing sanitizer devices all over the place. A couple of weeks ago, they find that that Purell Advanced hand cleaner that they spent so much on really doesn’t work in terms of killing the viruses that they spent all that money to kill.
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-14-20 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Useful link for N95 use: Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...trategies.html

This document offers guidance on how to optimize supplies of N95 filtering facepiece respirators (commonly called “N95 respirators”) in healthcare settings in the face of potential ongoing 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) transmission in the United States. The recommendations are intended for use by professionals who manage respiratory protection programs, occupational health services, and infection prevention programs in healthcare institutions to protect healthcare personnel (HCP) from job-related risks of exposure to infectious respiratory illnesses.
    Also: Recommended Guidance for Extended Use and Limited Reuse of N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators in Healthcare Settings
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcw...nceextuse.html

Supplies of N95 respirators can become depleted during an influenza pandemic (1-3) or wide-spreadoutbreaks of other infectious respiratory illnesses.(4) Existing CDC guidelines recommend a combination of approaches to conserve supplies while safeguarding health care workers in such circumstances. These existing guidelines recommend that health care institutions:
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use 711 Select and Walgreens brand sanitizer. Both list Ethyl Alcohol at 70%

EDITED: Just checked the Purell in the break room I share with another office and it too is 70% Ethyl Alcohol

What about those blue UV lights?

I don't do anything drastically different. More conscious about washing/sanitizing my hands after being in public places or with a bunch of people or something that a bunch of people touched. Something I never did before that I do now is carry Clorox wipes in my car. I use them to wipe down gas nozzles, shopping carts and grab public door handles with them.

Picked up one of those N100 masks. Was planning on buying one this summer anyway as I have a bunch of stuff to clean out of the basement as well as a few other projects, so figured I'd get it now just in case
    Last edited by Arik; 02-14-20 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    No. Be aware that the industrial-use N95 masks that you bought at Home Depot and labeled "For Industrial Use" are different than the FDA-approved N95 masks used in healthcare settings and aren't approved for that use because of their lack of demonstrated effectiveness against pathogens. Quality control is aimed at dust and fiberglass particles, not viruses. The N95 masks that are suitable for medical use are single-use items.

The cooler masks you talk of have an exhalation valve. Also not for medical use.
    What is the Cliff Notes shoppers guide? I looked at N95 masks on Amazon. The designs seem to be all over the place. What specs are we looking for?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Kind of interesting what people living it are doing, looks to me like just hand sanitizer ain't going to cut it. I also remember reading that health care workers Wuhan dealing with infected the protocol is to change out mask 4 times a day. Remember the stories of the Indians catching smallpox from infected blankets? Look at the pictures of the Chinese in full protective overgarments that is known as a clue.

Look some want to poo poo this, blah blah low threat blah blah right now but the thing to be aware of is that 1 mask is not going to cut it, one pair of gloves is not going to cut it, and the vast majority of these are made in China and right now they are using what they are making not shipping them to Walmart. We all can hope and pray that it doesn't happen here but the time to prepare is now because a month from not it might not be possible and we are talking some cheap preps.

Hear The Voices From Wuhan That China Has Tried To Censor

Jan. 29, 2020

“I cried softly as I read the article ‘Mom Passed Away In Wuhan Quarantine.’ I forwarded the article to my mother, telling her she must take good care of herself so I don’t become a motherless child. … Today I went out for a while. … Returning home was even more of a pain. Standing in the front hallway, I had to take off my jacket, pants, shoes, face mask, gloves, bend my face mask backward, cut it with scissors, tie it securely, and then put it in a special trash container. I had to turn all the clothes inside-out, fold them, and carry them to the balcony to get some sunshine. Then I went to the washroom to wash my hands. Once I finished washing, I went back to the balcony and sprayed out my clothing with a disinfectant. Then I went back to the washroom to wash my hands again.”

https://thefederalist.com/2020/02/13...ied-to-censor/
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-14-20 at 10:21.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    15 cases in the USA, you got a better chance of winning the lottery.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yep no need to worry, the military is just being silly implementing their pandemic plan, I am sure it's going to stop at 15.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-14-20 at 10:30.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast