Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: CORVID-19 Preps?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I hope & pray, that somehow, this opens people minds that we need to cut back on dependence on other countries, especially "enemy" ones, and start relying on OURSELVES again.
    The F we cant do it..we did it for 200 years. I myself remember when almost nothing but junk toys & trinkets came marked "Made in China".
    All our electronics nearly were made here, clothing, shoes, tools, just almost everything was made here.
    Sam Walton..God rest his soul...wasnt cold in the grave before Walmart said F America & went for the almighty dollar. I blame them for starting this & giving China the boost it desperately needed THEN to get its manufacturing base modernized & expanded.
    GONE were flags & signs in WM that said.."THIS item created 32 jobs in Macon GA"..."THIS doo dad created 19 jobs in Cullman AL"...ect. ect.
    Other companies saw the profits & soon followed. I saw clothing manufacturers one after another, close. I saw other factories close forever.
    I want my country back. If it takes a calamity that wipes them out, that aint MY doing. Outside of some very geographically specific things like precious metals for example, we dont NEED to do business with people/countries who want us destroyed..we do it for THE DOLLAR.
    I really hope this wakes us up, and makes America much more self reliant-again.
    It’s simple.

Make manufacturing here profitable again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    I’ll second that. FFS Congress has to pass the Berry Act to get defense contractors not to source their parts from China. Talk about cutting your own throat.

I’ll know this is on to something real when Apple moves out of Foxconn and back here. Don’t forget GM closing factories here just last year and moving production to China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The problem isn't necessarily the evil greedy C-level guys at GM, etc., it's the American Labor Unions that have killed it. I run a small low voltage communication company here in Georgia. Last year I got in on a bid opportunity for a bunch of GM plants. The local IBEW guys essentially strong-armed GM into forcing us out and using them, even though I was literally half the price and more experienced than the IBEW guys who were only electrical, not communications, experienced. They weren't even certified by the OEM to install the equipment.

So, I agree that manufacturing needs to come back to the US, but labor unions will have to be destroyed to allow that to happen. Per usual, America is its own stumbling block.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 03-01-20 at 06:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    The problem isn't necessarily the evil greedy C-level guys at GM, etc., it's the American Labor Unions that have killed it. I run a small low voltage communication company here in Georgia. Last year I got in on a bid opportunity for a bunch of GM plants. The local IBEW guys essentially strong-armed GM into forcing us out and using them, even though I was literally half the price and more experienced than the IBEW guys who were only electrical, not communications, experienced. They weren't even certified by the OEM to install the equipment.

So, I agree that manufacturing needs to come back to the US, but labor unions will have to be destroyed to allow that to happen. Per usual, America is its own stumbling block.
    Unions made sense at the 1800s-1900s. Now, they are corrupt ignorant mob organizations that care more about the bosses than the members. And they funnel money to Leftist politicians that would put all of their members out of work. I don’t see many union bosses standing up against Medicare for All because I’m sure they were told they’d be exempt, like Congress and Federal employees would be. But **** everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I'll be surprised if anyone dies.
    Welp, there goes that. :-D Full On Panic Mode!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    I'll say it, this is the end of civilization as we know it. We think there is going to be a small disruption in supplies. We think we need a couple months of food. Them telling us to wash our hands, change our daily routines a little- all trying to instill in us that this is temporary, not to panic, and it will all just go away. It won't. It's going to keep breaking out over and over burning through populations re-infecting people until all daily life grinds to a complete stand still. Once the food shortages kick in and people realize there will be no replenishment of goods- it will become apocalyptic. The only thing we should be doing right now across every firearms board is starting to organize because once the lights go off it's going to be a shit show.
    Sorry for busting your balls. You are probably correct. I’m watching the economic data closely, and it doesn’t look good at all. We’re going to go through an economic collapse and a pandemic at the same time. It is going to be apocalyptic. The 19% of infected that require hospitalization aren’t going to be able to be hospitalized due to supply and room shortages, not to mention doctors that start getting sick or bugging out. Many of those 19% will likely die. People are stocking up now but it won’t be enough. After 3-6 months, with many out of work either due to businesses closing or quarantines, there won’t be money for resupply for many people. Some 40% of the population lives check-to-check. They will become desperate. Crime will skyrocket. Many police will be over-worked, worried about their families, and decide to walk away and bug out. Govt will probably decide to take control of farms and attempt to set up distribution systems for food. They’ll be incompetent as always. Cities will begin to starve and burn. Suburbs will be overrun by desperate urbanites. Violence, starvation, pre-existing medical conditions will kill far more people than COVID19.

I have asthma, so I’m pretty much dead. If I can’t get pills and inhalers, I’m screwed within a couple months. And thats if I manage to avoid catching COVID19 with my already compromised lung capacity. But that’s ok, everybody’s gotta go sometime. My mission is to set my wife up to be ok, and get her to her family in NY. Don’t care what happens to me. I’d have loved to live until 80 but that’s alright, I’ve had a great time in my 35 years. It’ll be what it’s gonna be. I have a lot of work to do!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Sorry for busting your balls. You are probably correct. I’m watching the economic data closely, and it doesn’t look good at all. We’re going to go through an economic collapse and a pandemic at the same time. It is going to be apocalyptic. The 19% of infected that require hospitalization aren’t going to be able to be hospitalized due to supply and room shortages, not to mention doctors that start getting sick or bugging out. Many of those 19% will likely die. People are stocking up now but it won’t be enough. After 3-6 months, with many out of work either due to businesses closing or quarantines, there won’t be money for resupply for many people. Some 40% of the population lives check-to-check. They will become desperate. Crime will skyrocket. Many police will be over-worked, worried about their families, and decide to walk away and bug out. Govt will probably decide to take control of farms and attempt to set up distribution systems for food. They’ll be incompetent as always. Cities will begin to starve and burn. Suburbs will be overrun by desperate urbanites. Violence, starvation, pre-existing medical conditions will kill far more people than COVID19.

I have asthma, so I’m pretty much dead. If I can’t get pills and inhalers, I’m screwed within a couple months. And thats if I manage to avoid catching COVID19 with my already compromised lung capacity. But that’s ok, everybody’s gotta go sometime. My mission is to set my wife up to be ok, and get her to her family in NY. Don’t care what happens to me. I’d have loved to live until 80 but that’s alright, I’ve had a great time in my 35 years. It’ll be what it’s gonna be. I have a lot of work to do!
    China has this going on month 3 with massive lockdowns yet hospitals are still open, people are still treated, food is still brought in, lights are still on.

My dad uses an inhaler too. Not sure how bad his case is without one, it's not something he was born with. I told him to get some extra and he said it would be close to impossible since a two month supply without insurance would be over $2k

The Spanish flu, which lasted from Jan 1918 - Dec1920. Infected 500 million people. Death toll estimated between 40 - 50 million and possibly as high as 100 million. Yet no one rioted, no Mad Max, no Walking Dead villains and even less medical supplies
    Last edited by Arik; 03-02-20 at 06:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    The Spanish flu, which lasted from Jan 1918 - Dec1920. Infected 500 million people. Death toll estimated between 40 - 50 million and possibly as high as 100 million. Yet no one rioted, no Mad Max, no Walking Dead villains and even less medical supplies
    The culture was different and emphasized conformity and service to the nation, and people, in general, were more capable of taking care of themselves. The Great War also numbed people to death in large part and the rampant censorship also reduced the panic by limiting who could know what. Hell, even the name "Spanish flu" comes from the censorship, as it was first widely reported in Spain, despite starting just down the road from me in Fort Riley, KS.

None of those factors apply today. We have a widely diverse (aka, fractured) population, a self-centered culture, our economy operates on a "just in time" basis, and the internet makes it practically impossible to completely censor things. Add into this wonderful mix the fact that we already have a sizable portion of the population just looking for an excuse to start a shooting war. (BoogieBois on the Right, BernieBros and Commies on the Left). If a Spanish Flu-level event happened today, it' impact would likely be worse than it was in '18-'20.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I went to Sams yesterday to pick up some things. I didn't notice anything in low stock. They had huge pallets of disinfecting wipes out in the center aisles, which is where I've seen them in the past. Their canned food supply was still pretty healthy, as well as antibacterial soaps and Clorox.

I did pick up a few more Waterbricks along with some canned goods, propane, disinfecting wipes, antibacterial soap, TP, and paper towels. Like many of you, the virus itself doesn't bother me. The potentially bare shelves and what they lead to are what concern me. Regardless, I know my Creator, so whatever happens, it's all good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am much more worried about a severe economic impact. I am already seeing supply chain stoppages of fiber optic materials, electronics, RF components, etc. since they are all made in China. If I can't get materials to build communications infrastructure, I will have to lay off technicians. I'm sure this is being felt across all industries.

Pharmaceuticals are drying up already and many specialty drugs are on backorder. That will have terrible impacts for many people here. We have friends with a 4 year old girl that requires specialty daily meds and they are not able to get them right now. We have other friends that work in dental hygiene and they stay their clinic has one month of PPE and are unable to get more now. They will shut down in one month if that stands.

I saw that Target and Walmart said they are expecting bare shelves of all non-food items by end of March since it's all from China.

I have a 2 year old and a baby due in June. My savings account should carry us for a couple years but I am very concerned about healthcare for my little ones.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For some reason Walmart was low on bags of sugar yesterday?!?!?!?! Canned food was good, water was plenty, nothing looked like it changed in the meat department, even surprised to see several, albeit smaller shelves, full of 12oz cans of hand sanitizer. But sugar.....sugar was all but sold out!?!

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast