Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: CORVID-19 Preps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    OMG....Desolation row !
    Maybe to some, but it's all mine and I love it.

To go hungry in a place like this is almost impossible.

Last edited by Mick Boon; 02-20-20 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Some info on skin decontamination.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK225134/

Washing with soap and water has always been assumed to remove chemical and biological materials from the skin. However, recent evidence suggests that penetration and systemic absorption/toxicity may actually be increased by washing (Wester and Maibach, 1999b, 1999c). Washing is also ineffective for decontaminating painted surfaces. Appendix D describes in vitro and in vivo techniques for determining if skin has been decontaminated.

Because several biological agents pose a percutaneous threat to a contaminated individual, respiratory protection alone may not provide adequate protection, although in most instances respiratory protection will be sufficient for short-term protection, provided decontamination of the skin is initiated relatively quickly (Johnson, 1990; LeDuc, 1989; Mikolich and Boyce, 1990).

The 0.5 percent hypochlorite solution, which has been used since World War I, is currently recommended for decontamination of all biological agents (Ali et al., 1997). However, it cannot be used in abdominal wounds, open chest wounds, on nervous tissue, or in the eye.

TAKEAWAYS FOR BELOW GUIDELINES
    Use high quality fresh bleach dilute 1:10
    Solution degrades fast 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours
    If applying to skin I would wash off with soap and water after a couple of minutes.
    Corrosive to metals, important to wipe down metal surfaces with water or ethanol after treating them with a bleach solution.

GUIDELINES FOR USING SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE AS A DISINFECTANT FOR BIOLOGICAL WASTE

Guidelines for the use of sodium hypochlorite as a disinfectant for biological waste Version 1.0
    Prepared By: Animal Research Safety Consultant, Dr. Nicole Girotti Date: Sept.24th, 2015Approved By: City-Wide Occupational Health & Safety and Workplace Health Final Approvalec. 11th, 2015

INTRODUCTION
    Sodium hypochlorite, commonly known as bleach,is most frequently used as a disinfecting agent. It is a broad-spectrum disinfectant that is effective for the disinfection of viruses, bacteria, fungi, and mycobacterium. However, sodium hypochlorite is NOT effective in the disinfection of bacterial spores and prions.

CONCENTRATION& CONTACT TIME
    The appropriate concentration of sodium hypochlorite for disinfecting general liquid biological waste is 5000 ppm, approximately 0.5%. Household bleach is 5 -6 % sodium hypochlorite;therefore a 1:10 (v/v) dilution of bleach to liquid biological waste is appropriate.For biological waste containing a high organic load(e.g. blood, proteins, or lipids) the appropriate concentration of sodium hypochlorite is 10000ppm, approximately 1%, therefore a 1:5 (v/v) dilution of bleach to liquid biological waste is appropriate.

Minimum Contact time:

Surface disinfection -1 min Liquid waste disinfection -20 min

Important Notes:
    Discount brands of bleach may have lower concentrations of sodium hypochlorite and "colour safe" bleach contains NO sodium hypochlorite (hydrogen peroxide), these products should NOTbe used for the disinfection of biological waste. Sodium hypochlorite is known to be corrosive to metals, therefore, it important to wipe down metal surfaces with water or ethanol after treating them with a bleach solution.

STABILITY & STORAGE
    Bleach should be stored between 2-8°C (50-70°F). According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours.Bleach must be stored separately from corrosives, soaps, detergents or other cleaning products.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Mack, the most efficacious non-caustic decon for this particular enveloped virus is ~70% Ethyl alcohol.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

Avon FM53 with Dräger PAPR, 3M 701 40mm to Bayonet-Adapters, Black in Color:

Nice, that's pretty fancy........

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Mike_f post above is a good resource.

For anyone who thinks there’s magical medical-versions of N95 rated masks, there’s not. The filtration of particulate matter is the same; the only difference is SOME surgical rated N95 masks comply with ASTM F1862 for direct fluid spray.

For flexing on poors with N95 masks...

Avon FM53 with Dräger PAPR, 3M 701 40mm to Bayonet-Adapters, Black in Color:

Like angels blowing on your face.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Dude this.

It’s so damn comfy it isn’t funny. Once you go positive pressure you never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Dude this.

It’s so damn comfy it isn’t funny. Once you go positive pressure you never go back.
    Thanks, taxpayers.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Some info on skin decontamination.

(lots of super useful info snipped for clarity with respect to my comment below)

STABILITY & STORAGE
    Bleach should be stored between 2-8°C (50-70°F). According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours.Bleach must be stored separately from corrosives, soaps, detergents or other cleaning products.
    For longer bleach storage I've used the "Clorox Bleach Crystals":

https://www.clorox.com/products/clor...tals/original/

Theoretically, if tightly sealed they should last indefinitely until mixed with water. They're easier for me to use compared to the "pool shock" type crystals and they're sold at Walmart. My local Walmart only stocks a scented version, which limits its usefulness in drinking water treatment, but for decon it doesn't matter to me. However, Walmart sells the "regular" version online if you want it use it for drinking water too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Ze...ll&athena=true

I have also used the clear spray bottles from Walmart for a couple of years with good results. I've found them in few different Walmarts locally. The ones they sell that aren't clear (translucent?) haven't worked well for me. I have only used the clear bottles with dilute water-based solutions, not with high concentration alcohol, so I don't know how they perform with that.

The clear ones are listed online too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...l-Oz/929061444

For larger decon jobs i've used the hand-pump, garden/lawn type sprayers with good results.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Dude this.

"It's so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend you picking one up." Ferris Beuller

Unfortunately, I don't have the means........

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Thanks mike_f and outlander for clearing some things up. Very helpful.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast