Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: CORVID-19 Preps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Mack, the most efficacious non-caustic decon for this particular enveloped virus is ~70% Ethyl alcohol.
    Oral or topical application?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    lol!! Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    Oral or topical application?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mack, the most efficacious non-caustic decon for this particular enveloped virus is ~70% Ethyl alcohol.
    I have to admit that I am partly thinking about decontaminating full auto M4's that I find laying in the street.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    just be sure to spray down any areas that might have been coofed on.

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I have to admit that I am partly thinking about decontaminating full auto M4's that I find laying in the street.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Regarding Ethyl Alcohol/Ethanol’s efficacy against enveloped viruses (like COVID-19):

Ethanol has been shown to be effective against various enveloped viruses [14]. Beginning at a concentration of 42.6% (w/w) ethanol is effective within 30 s against SARS coronavirus, MERS coronavirus, ebolavirus, influenza A virus including the human type H3N2, the avian type H3N8 and human type H1N1, influenza B virus, HIV, HBV, vacciniavirus, duck hepatitis B vi- rus, togavirus, pseudorabies virus, Newcastle disease virus, bovine viral diarrhoea virus, zikavirus, herpes simplex viruses type 1 and 2 and RSV [5,14e35]. Ethanol is effective at 73.6% (w/w) against HCV in 15 s and 30 s but not at 40% [16,35,36 - Journal of Hospital Infection 98 (2018) 331e338

More:

Ethyl alcohol, at concentrations of 60%–80%, is a potent virucidal agent inactivating all of the lipophilic viruses (e.g., herpes, vaccinia, and influenza virus) and many hydrophilic viruses (e.g., adenovirus, enterovirus, rhinovirus, and rotaviruses but not hepatitis A virus (HAV) 58 or poliovirus) 49. Isopropyl alcohol is not active against the nonlipid enteroviruses but is fully active against the lipid viruses 72. Studies also have demonstrated the ability of ethyl and isopropyl alcohol to inactivate the hepatitis B virus(HBV) 224, 225 and the herpes virus, 490 and ethyl alcohol to inactivate human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) 227, rotavirus, echovirus, and astrovirus 491. - Centers for Disease Control, Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities

Despite what has been posted in this thread, common hand sanitizers like Purell, Germ-X, etc. are efficacious against enveloped viruses, notably, like Coronavirus. A simple check of the bottle will indicate the concentration and type of alcohol (it’s 70% Ethyl.) As a broad-spectrum anti-microbial, it’s efficacy isn’t as potent against other nasties like bacteria and spores; however, given the topic of discussion it is more than sufficient to deactivate COVID-19 on your filthy paws.

The easiest place to acquire 70% Ethyl alcohol, in quantity, is your local neighborhood Walgreens. It’s sold as such, and is going to be located near the Isopropyl Alcohol. Most retail stores only stock Isopropyl.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 02-21-20 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So does Iso not work?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Most studies indicate a higher efficacy of isopropyl against bacteria and ethyl against viruses.

For example, isopropyl applied against a particular virus might have a log reduction factor of 2 (99%) comparatively, the ethyl alcohol would have a log reduction factor of 3-4 (99.9 - 99.99%).

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    So does Iso not work?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Most studies indicate a higher efficacy of isopropyl against bacteria and ethyl against viruses.

For example, isopropyl applied against a particular virus might have a log reduction factor of 2 (99%) comparatively, the ethyl alcohol would have a log reduction factor of 3-4 (99.9 - 99.99%).
    You can also use ethyl aka ethanol to get drunk in a pinch when all the liquor stores get looted during the big flugaloo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

duck hepatitis B virus
    I’m honestly intrigued by this. These ducks doin’ all that flocking....

So besides respirators, what are we looking at for body PPE? Tyvek Level C or similar? You see a lot of videos of the Chinese wearing plastic crappy suits or nothing at all, God knows what kind of Decon they are doing...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You can also use ethyl aka ethanol to get drunk in a pinch when all the liquor stores get looted during the big flugaloo.
    What you did there, I see it...

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast