Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody still shoot 6.8?

Feedback Score
    Havent heard of that one. I just built a 22 inch barreled AR in 5.68 TLR, which is a 6.8 case necked down to 22 caliber and a shoulder angle change. Info I have is it will push a 75 Grn bullet at close to 3100 FPS. I've loaded up some test loads with Hornady 75 Grn ELD-M's, but havent had time to play with it yet. Guy who developed the cartridge said it can be pushed faster than 224 Valkyrie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Havent heard of that one. I just built a 22 inch barreled AR in 5.68 TLR, which is a 6.8 case necked down to 22 caliber and a shoulder angle change. Info I have is it will push a 75 Grn bullet at close to 3100 FPS. I've loaded up some test loads with Hornady 75 Grn ELD-M's, but havent had time to play with it yet. Guy who developed the cartridge said it can be pushed faster than 224 Valkyrie.
    There are several 22s based on the 6.8 case. I have been making the 5.56x42 since 2007(apx 150fps faster than the Valkyrie), there is the 22PDK and 22/6.8.
    I believe all of the GPC cartridges have to be fire-formed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have been thinking about putting a fresh upper together and I am looking at either 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8SPC. Still in early research. This will be used for coyote and hog hunting. I would like a ‘lightweight’ setup but able to shoot 2 mags without too much POI wandering. It will be an Aero upper with BCM MLOK rail.
    I definitely recommend ARP barrels. The 'Scout' contour barrels are on the light side of medium weight - kind of optimal in my mind (they're all I've used). ARP offers 'SOCOM' contour in fluted and unfluted for a few more oz. 6.8 and Grendel each have advantages. For my intended use and engagement envelope, 6.8 was the easy choice. 6.8 has a meaningful velocity advantage and better terminal performance inside 200 yds (that's where most of the real action happens for me) and they're about even between 300 & 400 yds. 6.8 is better supported for quality components (barrels, bolts and mags - at least that's my experience) and certainly for factory 'hunting' ammunition (I mentioned previously I don't reload - carryover from years of occupational considerations). Grendel is attractive to those that think they might have some need for the edge at long range (and/or give a lot of weight to the availability of a less expensive range ammo - WOLF). I don't even have a place to shoot at 600-700 yds, and if I had real plans to regularly engage at that kind of range I wouldn't choose either cartridge (or a standard AR platform for that matter). For me 6.8 was the no-brainer for logistical considerations, real-world hunting and personal defense. ARP has established a well-known quality benchmark and H's barrels have not disappointed anyone I know. I'd order one of his superbolts with the barrel - IIRC you get a discount when you order it that way.
    Last edited by Vorpal_weapon; 02-15-20 at 13:36.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Stops jihadis on contact - Lets Roll!

NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love my 6.8 build. I used Daniel Defense barrel, bcg, and rail.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing. I am not married to either yet, but the appeal of cheap Wolf ammo fo the 6.5 is a plus. I will likely end up reloading for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal_weapon View Post
    I definitely recommend ARP barrels. The 'Scout' contour barrels are on the light side of medium weight - kind of optimal in my mind (they're all I've used). ARP offers 'SOCOM' contour in fluted and unfluted for a few more oz. 6.8 and Grendel each have advantages. For my intended use and engagement envelope, 6.8 was the easy choice. 6.8 has a meaningful velocity advantage and better terminal performance inside 200 yds (that's where most of the real action happens for me) and they're about even between 300 & 400 yds. 6.8 is better supported for quality components (barrels, bolts and mags - at least that's my experience) and certainly for factory 'hunting' ammunition (I mentioned previously I don't reload - carryover from years of occupational considerations). Grendel is attractive to those that think they might have some need for the edge at long range (and/or give a lot of weight to the availability of a less expensive range ammo - WOLF). I don't even have a place to shoot at 600-700 yds, and if I had real plans to regularly engage at that kind of range I wouldn't choose either cartridge (or a standard AR platform for that matter). For me 6.8 was the no-brainer for logistical considerations, real-world hunting and personal defense. ARP has established a well-known quality benchmark and H's barrels have not disappointed anyone I know. I'd order one of his superbolts with the barrel - IIRC you get a discount when you order it that way.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal_weapon View Post
    I used a ARP scout barrel for my 6.8 rifle bulid as well. Can confirm, awesome barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was looking for the thread over on TOS but it appears to have dropped into archive.

Anyway, Mad Dog Weapons is (maybe was and gave up?) working on a receiver set based on the LWRC 6.8 lower. The idea is to provide a source for receivers and metal magazines that allow a cartridge overall length of 2.39"

The idea was to provide a rifle that allowed the various 6.8 based cartridges to use longer/heavier bullets and/or longer OAL for a bit more powder capacity.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I was bitten by the 6.8 bug when it was the latest and greatest. I built a 10.5 Noveske pistol and a 16 ARP rifle. Both are accurate as hell and hard hitting. I stocked up on boxes and boxes of XM68GD when they were cheap. Still have a lot of it. I never hear about 6.8 anymore. What happened? Anybody else still shoot this caliber?

Yes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah, I shoot a 12.5 and 16”. Both with ARP barrels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    What are your guys' favorite mags to use? I do own some PRI's and Barrett's but it has been a few years since I have purchased any 6.8 mags. Are there other good options?
    Regarding mags, I got some D&H Tactical mags from Ammunition Depot that work great in my LH Stag 6.8. Other brands didn't feed reliably. These work in my RH Stag 6.8 also.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast