Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody still shoot 6.8?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been trying to wait for the ARP SOCOM profile barrels to come back in stock but dont know if I can keep waiting, you know how it is. How do you guys who use the scout profile barrels like them? I didnt see where I could add a matched bolt. I clicked the buttons for extras or something like that and it does nothing.

Just sold some gun parts and am itching to start my first build outside of 5.56. I found a killer deal on new 90gr bonded bullets, found another deal on some D&H mags, found some 120gr SSTs, reloading dies.

This will be a new build from the ground up on a Geissele Super Duty receiver set and a bunch of Forward Controls parts. I think its gonna be a nice and fun build.

I dont hunt so this is gonna be built for PD/HD SHTF scenario. Definitely gonna be doing a lot of reloading for it. I have a few powders to try, 2K of those 90gr bonded bullets and plenty of time on my hands right now.

So how do you guys like the Scout barrels?
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    I've been trying to wait for the ARP SOCOM profile barrels to come back in stock but dont know if I can keep waiting, you know how it is. How do you guys who use the scout profile barrels like them? I didnt see where I could add a matched bolt. I clicked the buttons for extras or something like that and it does nothing.

Just sold some gun parts and am itching to start my first build outside of 5.56. I found a killer deal on new 90gr bonded bullets, found another deal on some D&H mags, found some 120gr SSTs, reloading dies.

This will be a new build from the ground up on a Geissele Super Duty receiver set and a bunch of Forward Controls parts. I think its gonna be a nice and fun build.

I dont hunt so this is gonna be built for PD/HD SHTF scenario. Definitely gonna be doing a lot of reloading for it. I have a few powders to try, 2K of those 90gr bonded bullets and plenty of time on my hands right now.

The Scout barrels are plenty accurate enough to hunt with but if you plan to sit at the bench and shoot all day the SOCOM would be better since it is .100" larger in diameter under the guard. I have 100 SOCOMS in the white but have to wait for this Corona virus thing before I can get them Melonite treated. It could be sometime in May.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought a 6.8SPC I think it was. Never really got us amped up about. Pulled the barrel, the mags, the reloading shit and just took a hit.

Wished I had not bit that bullet.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    What did you not like about it?
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nothing we did not like, just didn't overwhelm us with the extra work for a different caliber.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post

My rifles use ARP scout barrels and they get practical carry/use. They're very accurate. I use the short-barreled upper (12.5") when I shoot with a can, and its plenty stiff enough for that. Scout contour is all I've seriously considered since I don't really plan to use my 6.8 carbines for FA or long-range precision. They are the right tool for my mission envelope. Yo might try to call H about adding one of his superbolts - they're good.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Stops jihadis on contact - Lets Roll!

NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    I own Cavity Back Bullets
    We sell 100,000 pieces of 6.8 brass a year.
    As well as projectiles.
    I'm not seeing the 6.8 slow down at all.
    As a guy that shoots almost every AR15 variant caliber personally. The 6.8 is still my favorite all around caliber in an AR15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Haven't posted in a good while, but I love my 6.8 (Blackstone Arms w/ ARP 12.5). It's currently my go-to hunting rifle and both of my kids killed their first deer with it. For the record, I don't think there's a better platform to get kids into shooting and hunting than the M4/AR. Collapsible stock to fit smaller frames, healthy caliber for great terminal killing performance in inexperienced hands, and a suppressor adds a layer of comfort for increased FPS, reduced recoil, and reduced report (obviously). What more could you ask for?

Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal_weapon View Post
    My rifles use ARP scout barrels and they get practical carry/use. They're very accurate. I use the short-barreled upper (12.5") when I shoot with a can, and its plenty stiff enough for that. Scout contour is all I've seriously considered since I don't really plan to use my 6.8 carbines for FA or long-range precision. They are the right tool for my mission envelope. Yo might try to call H about adding one of his superbolts - they're good.
    I can second that on the ARP Scout barrels. I run an ARP 16" 3R Scout barrel with Harrison's DMR chamber and have had no issues with heat even during intensive sustained training. In a semi-auto, 4150CMV in a scout profile is a good balance of rigidity vs. weight. Nitriding provides similar wear life as chrome lining, but with better accuracy. Also, while small, there is a mild POI shift with all chrome lines barrels with heat because hard chrome expands at a different rate than the 4150CMV steel the barrel is made of, cause a very slide temporary warping.

My 16" Scout 6.8 barrel weighs the same down to the oz as my BA Gov Profile 5.45 barrel (which consequently also weighs the same a typical 16" 5.56 gov profile barrel).

I will say if you do full auto, your better served by both chrome lined and hammer forged barrels. Chrome lining has a slightly higher working temperature before failure (about 100F~130F), not huge compared to SNB (nitride), but it's still a temp advantage. Your at about 800F for SNB vs. 900F to 930F for hard chrome.

Obviously cold work hardening aka hammer forging on a mandrel has a substantial advantage in heat tolerance of the steel as well. Daniels Defense makes some S2W Hammer Forged Chrome lined 6.8 barrels in 16" and 18" that would work well for Full Auto abuse, but they are NOT quite as accurate as ARP, WC etc. and quite a bit heavier.

DD 16" 6.8 S2W HF CL barrel clocks in at a hefty 2.31lbs where the ARP 16" 3R Scout Barrel is a mere 1.78lbs. About a 1/2lb difference is quite a bit when your actually holding the rifle, it's a trade off of heat capacity vs. accuracy / weight.

Also with ARP, you have the advantage of choosing 5R and 3R rifling. 3R especially when combined with nitriding and their DMR chamber will yield the highest velocities, about 60 to 100 FPS higher than Wilson's more conventionally designed 4 grove 416R stainless barrel with a SPCII chamber or a traditional 4 grove chrome lined barrel like the Daniels.

For semi-auto applications, you absolutely will not find a faster 6.8 barrel than ARP's 3R's with the DMR chamber and I see no reason to buy anything other than ARP for semi-autos especially given the extremely competitive pricing of ARP. Harrson did extensive work during the initial development phase of the 6.8 SPC cartridge and came up with some really good stuff.

http://m.b5z.net/i/u/6132121/i/6.8_2...0Report_1_.pdf

https://archive.org/details/DTIC_ADA...e/n27/mode/2up

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a469801.pdf

Harrison used the information from the ARL's testing to start his work on 5R and 3R rifling, combining that with the higher lubricity of SNB and a "wylde" type chamber for the 6.8 to improve general accuracy across a broad range of loads, the ARP 3R's are quite good for semi-auto use, weather it's home defense, hunting or non-competitive target shooting.
    Last edited by win&legend; 04-09-20 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    All my AR15's are 6.8 SPC and I am very happy with the round.
    I am ordering parts to build a 6.8 w/8.5" Bison Armory barrel for a pistol build.
    Sorry Constructor, I would have went with your barrel if you made an 8.5 incher. Maybe in the near future you might consider it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast