Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Beretta M9

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I had to go open the pistol safe and count.

Three Vertecs, three 92FS models, a 96D converted from 40 to 9mm, three PX4 Compacts, a PX4 full-size, a PX4 full-size DAO, a PX4 Sub-Compact, and a Beretta 21A and Beretta 70 in 22.

If my fingers and toes are correct, that's 15. All run fine when lubed and cared for. Like spence, I stock up on mags, mag springs and locking blocks when they go on sale. Beretta USA just had a 25% off sale for President's Day. I run chrome silicon springs for the recoil, trigger return, firing pin and hammer springs. They get replaced every 20K per gun, which has not happened yet. Yes - I do keep round counts.

Ernest Langdon is The Man for tuning a Beretta. I've had five guns wrenched on by him, and he and his team do an excellent job. The Trigger Job in a Bag that spence mentioned is also an excellent value. It gets you to about 80 percent of what Ernest can do with the gun in his shop.

The G decocker lever set can be a bit challenging to install the first time, but you will get the hang of it. Most of my guns have been converted from the "F" or manual safety model to the decocker. I do keep a couple DA/SA guns just for trainers for other shooters. I also have a pair of DAO pistols just to practice that DA first shot, and for dry practice.

I'm going to grab a 92X Compact no-rail decocker when they finally ship. I'll send it off to Mr Langdon, and rejoice at it's smoothness when it returns home. If it's reliable after a couple of thousand rounds, it will be my new EDC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They finally made one that had enough features: Vertec, G, checkering front and back AND replaceable sights - the 92X - so I picked it up. Shot it recently, but the jury is still out.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    They finally made one that had enough features: Vertec, G, checkering front and back AND replaceable sights - the 92X - so I picked it up. Shot it recently, but the jury is still out.
    I'd be very interested in your feedback after you've run it for a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If my fingers and toes are correct, that's 15. All run fine when lubed and cared for. Like spence, I stock up on mags, mag springs and locking blocks when they go on sale. Beretta USA just had a 25% off sale for President's Day. I run chrome silicon springs for the recoil, trigger return, firing pin and hammer springs. They get replaced every 20K per gun, which has not happened yet. Yes - I do keep round counts.

Ernest Langdon is The Man for tuning a Beretta. I've had five guns wrenched on by him, and he and his team do an excellent job. The Trigger Job in a Bag that spence mentioned is also an excellent value. It gets you to about 80 percent of what Ernest can do with the gun in his shop.

The G decocker lever set can be a bit challenging to install the first time, but you will get the hang of it.
    Another thing I've noticed is just adding a steel trigger vs the polymer one a lot of 92's come with these days really improves the feel of the gun. I also concur that chrome silicone springs are the way to go, even if no other modification is made.

Ernest is absolutely the man. I've gone the TJIB route simply because it's very cost effective, and the parts come to me. I am not entirely sold on the NP3 parts to it, yet. I haven't seen anyone who's gone that route that said it was not worth the extra bones for it, though.

Mr Guns n Gear has a G kit install video. It is absolute gold in installation of a G kit. The first one took maybe half an hour to put in. Put a couple other in since then, and it took much less effort.

Feedback Score
    This is about 1/2 to 2/3 of my Beretta pistols.

With the exception of the 9000 series, all run great.

92/M9 series specific, and this includes high volume unit training over years-
    The only cracked frames I ever saw were damage from a broken locking block.

And this handful of times was only with first gen locking blocks. On guns I think never had new recoil springs despite being five or ten times past the round count they should have.

“Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Remember the 90Two? Kind of the unwanted stepchild of the 92 family. Although I think the recoil buffer found it's way into the 92A1.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Remember the 90Two? Kind of the unwanted stepchild of the 92 family. Although I think the recoil buffer found it's way into the 92A1.
    It did, along with 17rnd mags. I think the sights, also; not certain. The 96a1 got some 90two features, also.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    The 90-two was a perfect example of Beretta’s inability to truly understand the world and US handgun market.

The M9 did not really need an improved recoil system. While 40 cal may have, the market was already experience waning interest in this caliber. And it screwed up legacy upper and lower compatibility. What the market really wanted was some slimming of the M9 grip, better checkering, a light rail, and some magwell flaring. As seen with the SD or Vertec. Gun game SSP and Production type guys wanted a steel instead of aluminum frame. Service gun guys may have been ammenable to a polymer frame, but were fine with aluminum.

They put a ton of time and effort into futuriZing and styling the looks of the gun. Equipped it with slick grips held in place by a little nub of plastic, and gave it a completely stupid and confusing name.

It was, much like their efforts with the Cougar, 9000, and PX series. Oh, and APX series now, a failure.

To recoup losses in development, they made the 96A1 and incorporated the recoil system. At a time when no department had interest in new DA SA guns and everyone was on the verge of replacing 40. So they made the 92A1.

It’s like they New Coke or Zune themselves over and over.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    What the market really wanted was some slimming of the M9 grip, better checkering, a light rail, and some magwell flaring.
    Don’t forget that we wanted a dovetailed front sight, also. Langdon finally got them to make the right gun. Of course, if remove-able sights are not desired, a M9a1 with a few Langdon goodies gets you there.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely. A dove tail front sight should have been on my list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast