Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Beretta M9

Feedback Score

New Beretta M9

Picked this up the other day. Gallatin-manufactured M9 (LE version with three 15-round mags). I was a little bit apprehensive when I ordered it, given the reports of spotty QC from the Tennessee factory. But (at least in the fit and finish department) it seems well executed. The "GALLATIN TN" marking is so tiny that I first thought it was missing, but it's next to the serial number on the forward left part of the frame. Serial number is "M9-221xxx" which puts it as 2019 manufacture.

Most folks that have reported issues with these seem to mention poor machining and/or sloppy finish problems. They all seem to function normally. Hopefully, Gallatin has a handle on most of their bugs.

I note that the included mags are 15 rounders. Did the US Military ever buy any of the 17 rounders?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My LTT Eliite was made in the Gallatin factory. Only ‘issue’ I found on mine was that the LTT Elite rollmark started light, gets deeper, then back light again (left, center, right). This in no way impacts function.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I saw a couple in a shop here that had blackened stainless barrels.

Don't know why.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Did the US Military ever buy any of the 17 rounders?
    I don't think so, they like multiples of 5 for some reason.

Our squadron Gunner wanted to only issue 10rds for our 13rd M11 magazines because it made the 'math' either for the inventory.

Yeah, we vetoed that pretty quick.

OT, nice M9. I have several Beretta 92s of various makes. Big, but I like them all.

Feedback Score
    As I recall, one of the knocks against the M9 during the heyday of it's service was "It's just too damn big for a 9mm". You don't seem to hear that as much nowadays.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Unreliable was all I heard from my armorer who basically did nothing on maintenance for them not even springs and basic cleaning.

Army reserve for you..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, just going from memory on the comments that I've heard down through the years:

"Locking blocks break too often"

"It's very inaccurate"

"Too sensitive to adverse environments"

"Too heavy"

"Mags suck"

"Bruniton finish sucks"

"Rear sight is not user friendly"

(not necessarily a defect) "Why put a chrome-lined barrel on a pistol?"

Feedback Score
    It's too big and heavy for concealed carry in Florida. That's my only knock against it.

So I carry its little brother the 80-series Cheetah.

I want a 92XG Centurion, but I'm not sure I'd have a practical use for it. Every full size pistol I've had ends up a range toy and now I only have one full-size pistol. Well, two if you count a G19.

Feedback Score
    I have dozens of 92/96 Berettas from the 1980s to recent.

The only real thing I have noticed are some finish issues from TN when they first started up,
    And the 92Cs that were showing up a couple of years ago all felt gritty instead of the classic slick like ball bearings slide action.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I finally got on the Beretta wagon last year. First one being a MD mfr M9, dated at 2019. 10k down the pipe and it's stellar. However, it's largely set up like the LTT pistols out of the box. G10's, G kit, oversized mag catch, steel trigger, TJIB, etc. It's a hell of a shooter.

Military never did buy an 17 rounders that I know of. They used the not so stellar finished Checkmate mags for some time. I was never issued an M9, so I can't attest to the issues with them, however I've got a heaping pile of them now that I picked up for a song. The springs in them suck, but a $5 Wolf 10% extra power spring solves that in a hurry. Beretta mags are good to go, I snagged a bunch of their 15 rounders when Beretta USA ran 35-40% off sales around Christmas for $15/each. The Mecgar 18's are great, too, but they're not quite as cheap.

I got an LTT Centurion not long ago for a nice price, and it's finish is good, which I was glad to see since I didn't get to see the pistol before I picked it up. It seems that Beretta has gone away from the military markings on the slides from the MD made pistols, the TN made guns have a whole different stamping to them. That would take away a bit of the allure to an "M9" vs a standard 92, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast