Thread: setting up scope to get max Elevation ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

setting up scope to get max Elevation ?

I have many rifles and Nightforce scopes. I run 20 MOA bases on almost all. Most of my scopes average around 18 Mils of elevation. But one first Gen ATACR has 30 mils of elevation. Cant really figure out why. The NXS scopes should have 15mils plus 20 moa so 18 sounds about right. The ATACR has a bit more.

How in the wide world of optics am I getting 30 mils, I have a 20 MOA base but still.. Is there any way to set your scope up outside the base to get more elevation?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Are you getting 30 Mils of useable elevation out of the ATACR? Reading the specs on their website the F2 version of the 4-16 has that total.

With an unslanted base, theoretically you'd have a little under half of your total scope adjustment available for dialing after zeroing at 100yds. So theoretically you could get a base with a 15 mil (50ish moa) slant, however in practice shit isn't always straight and you probably wouldn't be able to zero.

If you already have a 20 moa base you could get one piece mount with an extra 20 moa built in and have a 10ish MOA buffer zone in which to zero. Keep in mind, at the extemes of your adjustment range some optics can have weird shading, won't be at their best optically, and available windage adjustment can be compromised.

As far as I know the bases and mounts with built in elevation is the only way to maximize the elevation adjustment available in your optic. I believe they make some mounts that are adjustable themselves with good repeatability.

If you are looking for a way get massive amounts of elevation gain without an adjustable mount or possibly not being able to zero at closer ranges and the positional issues associated with the high mounts at high angles, look at things like the Charlie TARAC. I believe Nightforce now has a version of it as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 02-16-20 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    There are adjustable bases some ELR shooters use. I haven’t used one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea, no real tricks that I didnt know of. My 300WM's get me to a mile with 20 MOA bases. I bought a 40 MOA NF base which get me to 25 or 26 mils on. my 6.5cm, so that works too. I'm good with that.

Just couldnt figure out how that one scope got 30 mils, cornfused for sure.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"