Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A5 Receiver Extension Comparison Photos

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Does anyone have pictures of a regular AR-10 tube vs. the A5's?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyheadgear View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of a regular AR-10 tube vs. the A5's?
    The receiver extensions are the same diameter. The receriver extensions are interchangeable, you need a different spring and buffer for the AR10, though.

The A5 tube is 8" long

The carbine is 7.25" long

2A Armament sells an 8 position 'AR-10' carbine tube that is 8" long - https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-bta8-1.htm

Here is a picture comparing the two from Wing tactical: https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-g64i...=2&imbypass=on

I ended up putting a regular carbine tube on my in-process build. I didn't care for the grooves on the 2A Armament tube, plus I believe that there might be fitment issues between the lower threads and tube threads which are machined versus extruded.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aap3535 View Post
    Does anyone have the weights of all three handy?
    BCM: 4.05oz
    Magpul: 4.15oz
    Vltor 7 position: 4.15oz
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    Still waiting for the BCM A5 REs to come back into stock for a new build.

I had originally paired them with Magpul ACS butt stocks, but is there something a little more light weight that works well with the A5 REs?
    I ordered mine from BCM on Friday the 10th and received them today.

Feedback Score
    I have all of these receiver extensions... The two Magpul 10 position REs that I have are rough inside, just like the pics show in the OP. My Vltor and BCM A5 REs are pretty smooth.

The Magpul REs were purchased directly from Magpul about two or three years ago.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have several Vltor A5H2 and one A5H3. All smooth as silk. I'd trust BCM and Magpul to also make great products. Unfortunately, I think you may have picked up a poorly finished MagPul unit. I'd contact them and see what they have to say.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Does anyone offer a four-position extension?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Plug the holes you don't want to use with jb weld?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The one place where the finish should be smooth and Magpul fumbles it....I'd send that back. I once boughtwo DD carbine tubes from one of the big retailers ON SALE. They came in DD cardboard tubes, but were rough inside. I sent those back so fast I don't even think the UPS driver had time to leave.

I've had the Vltor tubes for a few years and they have been great. I use the Sprinco Green springs too.

I don't know if 10 positions are necessary, but 8 would be nice. At this point I'd pick the BCM for the win, just for the 8th position.

BTW: I find no difference, in fact, I prefer standard LMT tubes, with Sprinco Blue, and H2 buffers in my mid-length rifles. Smooth like silk.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-24-20 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_f View Post
    Similar to titsonritz, I bought my Magpul extension directly from Magpul shortly before I posted the photos (early 2020). It's not "oil or photo artifact", it's roughly finished metal. Like I stated in the original post; don't know what effect, if any, that might have on function.
    Its not an insignificant thing, after all that spring is gonna be blasting back into the tube. It think a rough tube is out of spec. Should be smooth and a really good tube has dry lube IMHO. Although, you find very few with dry lube. In the past, I would buy LMT tubes because they came with a lube coating inside and out. It makes the tube look streaky on the outside after you adjust the stock for awhile, but its just nice and smooth. And the buffer spring makes less noise. My two cents on finishes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123