Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All metal AR15 stock

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could always go the route of a fixed stock as well..... Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Stick that's pretty impressive metal stock performance! However, does one really want to maximize shock and awe on the RE during vigorous activity? I would guess an A1/A2 stock would be a better choice if you want your rifle to keep working after attacking trees and rocks

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Stick that's pretty impressive metal stock performance! However, does one really want to maximize shock and awe on the RE during vigorous activity? I would guess an A1/A2 stock would be a better choice if you want your rifle to keep working after attacking trees and rocks

Dennis.

Dennis,

Its an interesting thought, and originally I would have thought an A1, or probably A2 would have held up better. However, we took that stock out with the intent of severely beating on it, and the expectation that it would fail. It didn't, and I don't think any of the A1/A2 stocks would have been able to make the same claims.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Better question: is there any legitimate reason why someone would want this for a practical use ar-15?

I'll admit that I didn't know metal ar-15 stocks existed until this morning, but this seems totally unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I was in it was very common to see the bottom part of the M4 stocks broken. This happened when the rifle would take a fall onto concrete for whatever various reasons. Think of it this way though: if the very bottom of the stock didn't break, what would? A stock is very easy to replace and even when broken like they where; the rifles where still completely serviceable. Maybe the sling had to find a new attachment location. Now if the receiver extension or worse; the lower receiver threads where to get damaged; the gun would be immediately unserviceable. Probably wouldn't even work as a bolt action depending on how much damage the buffer tube receives.

I don't know about you, but this logic train makes it seem like polymer is WAY more preferable on a 'serious use rifle'.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Dennis,

Its an interesting thought, and originally I would have thought an A1, or probably A2 would have held up better. However, we took that stock out with the intent of severely beating on it, and the expectation that it would fail. It didn't, and I don't think any of the A1/A2 stocks would have been able to make the same claims.
    Did you see any damage or wear in the latch mechanism? Maybe it would fail there before the RE?

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Gotta make "mortaring" safer.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Gotta make "mortaring" safer.
    I always enjoy watching the guys with the stock all the way out, and who mortar at an angle instead of straight down. Its broken? Really? Wow, I'm shocked....
    Stick

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaramillo4418 View Post
    What are the advantages of a metal stock vs polymer?
    From the manufacturer's side the advantage is you don't have to cut a $100k+ injection mold, which also allows you to make changes to the design or introduce new products faster and cheaper. From the consumer side, you're getting a heavier, much more expensive product that has no real practical advantage.

Feedback Score
    If 2 identical guns where laid out, one with a polymer stock one with the same aluminum version, weight being withIn a few ounces which would you take?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast