Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All metal AR15 stock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
    If 2 identical guns where laid out, one with a polymer stock one with the same aluminum version, weight being withIn a few ounces which would you take?
    Polymer. It's more durable if done right, i.e. Magpul.

Feedback Score
    The one that weighs less. Unless you are planning on hitting rocks or trees (see above), I see no point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aluminum versus Polymer?

As if there is only one type of aluminum or polymer...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I thought about picking up an aluminum CAR-15 stock recently, but after mulling it over, I chose the fiber/polymer one. I use my rifles in intense heat and cold and don't want my face on a heat/cold sink trying to make potentially critical shots.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If 2 identical guns where laid out, one with a polymer stock one with the same aluminum version, weight being withIn a few ounces which would you take?
    Polymer. Aluminum gets hot in the summer sun and cold in the winter. Makes for a very uncomfortable cheekweld. I don't use aluminum handguards either.

However, the choice between an aluminum or polymer buttstock is subjective. If the aluminum buttstock is better suited to the mission requirements, it's the right choice.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaramillo4418 View Post
    Better question: is there any legitimate reason why someone would want this for a practical use ar-15?

I'll admit that I didn't know metal ar-15 stocks existed until this morning, but this seems totally unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    When I was in it was very common to see the bottom part of the M4 stocks broken. This happened when the rifle would take a fall onto concrete for whatever various reasons. Think of it this way though: if the very bottom of the stock didn't break, what would? A stock is very easy to replace and even when broken like they where; the rifles where still completely serviceable. Maybe the sling had to find a new attachment location. Now if the receiver extension or worse; the lower receiver threads where to get damaged; the gun would be immediately unserviceable. Probably wouldn't even work as a bolt action depending on how much damage the buffer tube receives.

I don't know about you, but this logic train makes it seem like polymer is WAY more preferable on a 'serious use rifle'.
    You two stop bringing common sense into this. Didn't you read?! He's just not a "fan" of polymer. Besides, who hasn't had their chainsaw bayonet get gummed up and had to chop trees with their buttstock?

screen-shot-2017-11-08-at-13905-pm-770x353.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    There are plenty of metal stocks for ARs and AKs that are in use. The weight difference is negligible but the metal is stronger. Yes metal is affected by temp more but unless you leave it in 100+ degree direct sunlight for hours like an idiot I doubt it will make much of a deference. So besides cost it’s a trade off between durability vs resistance to temp.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plenty of us spent time in southern Iraq where things heated to obscene levels. Polymers have a slew of advantages, and I think most of us understand it (if not reread the first few pages). Like Nick said, cutting molds is expensive. We will soon be at a point where 3D printing allows for an entirely new realm of creative content, but we aren't quite there yet.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There are plenty of metal stocks for ARs and AKs that are in use. The weight difference is negligible but the metal is stronger. Yes metal is affected by temp more but unless you leave it in 100+ degree direct sunlight for hours like an idiot I doubt it will make much of a deference. So besides cost it’s a trade off between durability vs resistance to temp.
    All it takes is fifteen minutes of Mojave sun or high desert winter.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Yes metal is affected by temp more but unless you leave it in 100+ degree direct sunlight for hours like an idiot I doubt it will make much of a deference. So besides cost it’s a trade off between durability vs resistance to temp.
    I guess we were all idiots at my last carbine course then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast