Thread: Best bang for the buck chest rig 2020

Feedback Score

Best bang for the buck chest rig 2020

Whats a good chest rig these days? Would be great if it also accepts armor plates. Thanks

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    1. Your screen name is a little odd.
    2. You're going to have to be a lot more specific in what you're looking for in order to get a decent answer.
    3. Chest rigs don't hold armor plates, that's the point.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This gets into detailed nomenclature.

There are chest rigs, and there are plate carriers.

Chest rigs are meant to carry everything OTHER than armor.

Plate carriers carry the armored plates. Some plate carriers have attachment point to add things to them, and others are slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A while back I was planning on spending a lot more time in rifle classes and went through the same decision. Plate Carrier or Chest Rig and which one depending on Plate or Chest. The PIG Plate Carrier from SKD won for me based on learning alot about where plates were supposed to be when inside the carrier along with comfort and reviews.

Funny thing is none of my plans came to fruition, so after setting it up and getting ready to scheduled a few classes, job changed and been tied to it ever since. Sold it to another forum member that probably actually uses it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Many companies are making chest rigs that are scalable and can be added to a PC.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    While there have been some chest rigs that can accept a front plate (I think there was an RRV type rig, and some sort of combination of parts from Crye off the top of my head), they are not common or popular.

Most people in current days, across both civ and mil lines, choose to wear;
    > A standalone, dedicated plate carrier
    >A standalone, dedicated chest rig with no plates
    >A slick/low profile dedicated plate carrier with either a throw-over or SWIFT-clip dedicated chest rig added on as needed.

Your best bet for a bang/buck CR is kind of going to be up to you, based on how much you need/want to carry and how much you need/want to scale it up/down.

If you are planning to wear a dedicated plate carrier a lot, and a chest rig sometimes, then your best bang is likely going to be some sort of SWIFT clip placard/chest rig that you can then attach to your carrier, or on the occasion you want to wear it by itself, put some basic shoulder straps on.
    Some of the most common swift-clip platforms are anything from Velocity Systems/Mayflower, Haley, and Spiritus.

If you are planning to go sans-plates and wear a dedicated chest rig a lot, and a carrier sometimes/never, than the best bang is still either one of the Velocity/Haley full-size chest rigs (since you can still clip them to a PC at a later date if you choose), or something from ATS like the M4 rig. The pouches should also be able to fit Kywi inserts as well, which is nice.
    https://atstacticalgear.com/m4-modular-chest-harness/

It all really depends on what you want... there are a LOT of options out there...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a Ferro Slickster ($150 plus whatever plates you get) worn correctly a PIG universal chest rig actually rides below the plate. Works out well for the PC set up for “bump in the night” quick access, and the the CR In addition when things get really bumpy.
    Last edited by ddbtoth; 02-24-20 at 20:53.