Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Compact American Rifle in .223

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Ruger Compact American Rifle in .223

I picked up a used RAR Compact in .223 a few months ago because I liked the idea of a light, compact .223 bolt rifle. I don't really read any gun mags, so I didn't know a great deal about the RAR, but it was a Ruger and priced right, so I gambled on it.

I had a Leupold VX-2 2-7x32 scope and a pair of low Weaver rings on hand to mount on the provided bases. I don't think I could have come up with a better combination - the scope is low enough to provide a decent cheek weld and looks/balances about perfectly to me. There is roughly 1/8" between the objective lens and barrel and the bolt clears the eyepiece comfortably. I also think power range of the scope is great for the small 223 bolt rifle.

My wife and I set the eye relief on the scope to be comfortable for her with the 12.5" LOP factory stock and adjusted the trigger to the minimum, approximately 3 lbs. before we took it to the range.

Reading about the RAR online left me a little concerned about feeding from the magazines, but the magazine the rifle came with and the 2 spares I bought function just fine.

There are a lot of online reports of good accuracy, and that certainly proved to be true of the little Ruger. Hornady Black 55gr. HP ammunition shoots so well that I put a 150 Rd box in the "for emergencies only" spot in my safe. All the ammunition I tried shot well, but the Black was just ridiculous.

My wife and a petite lady from work both love shooting the little .223, and my wife staked claim on it after her first range trip.

EDIT - The 223 compacts are discontinued. They are available in .243 and 6.5 Creedmore; either would make a great budget youth/ladies hunting rifle.

It's not a "nice" rifle, but I wanted to share how pleased my wife and I are with her RAR compact.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-16-20 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    I’m glad you like it. I had nearly the same thing twice. I had the 762x39 model with the leapold 2-7. I traded the rifle for the AR mag 5.56 version cause I didn’t have anything else in 762x39. I ended up getting rid of that cause I felt the AR mag was sloppy in the magwell and had a few feeding issues. The 762x39 mini thirty mag did not have that issue. If Ruger ever does a Mini-14 mag version I would seriously consider getting that.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just put the same scope on my CZ 527 in .223. It does seem like a handy setup, I'm going to try and get it zeroed this weekend.

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM. It was a great deal at Dick's Sporting Goods. I hated to spend my money there, but the price was right. I think it is going to be a great hunting rifle.

I've got a Trijicon Accupoint 1x4 that I'm going to throw on there for now, but I would like to pick up a Vortex at some point with a little bit more power. I think it should be a pretty good set up along with my SilencerCo Omega. This will be my first 6.5CM and excited to see what all the hype is about. I bet that 30.06 on a light RAR was a fun ride. I've got an old Marlin 30-30, that I would like to have a gunsmith go through and clean up and thread the barrel. I love the old school lever actions.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I think the 6.5 CM is a great medium game round (like all 6.5s) and the relatively mild recoil is a bonus given the light weight of the RAR. A hunter at the range was checking out the 223 Compact when he showed me the still healing scope cut from shooting a 30-06 RAR in the prone.

I bought a Marlin 45-70 (1895 GS) from Dicks, but that was before they started living up to their name.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I like the Ruger American series, I have the Ranch, it pairs nicely with my mini thirty.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think in this space you go TC compact in 223 given it's price, options and reviews. I also like the idea of a nice compact 223 although thinking of a x39 in this space

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    I’m glad you like it. I had nearly the same thing twice. I had the 762x39 model with the leapold 2-7. I traded the rifle for the AR mag 5.56 version cause I didn’t have anything else in 762x39. I ended up getting rid of that cause I felt the AR mag was sloppy in the magwell and had a few feeding issues. The 762x39 mini thirty mag did not have that issue. If Ruger ever does a Mini-14 mag version I would seriously consider getting that.
    You can get the mag wells for any combo you want. Just call up ruger. I have the 762x39 and will be converting it to ar15 mags soon. The mag wells are only 30 bucks or so. I already had a pile of ar mags in 762x39 and do not want to stock pile another type on mag.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    You can get the mag wells for any combo you want. Just call up ruger. I have the 762x39 and will be converting it to ar15 mags soon. The mag wells are only 30 bucks or so. I already had a pile of ar mags in 762x39 and do not want to stock pile another type on mag.
    You sir, win the internet. I had no idea and am ordering the AR-15 Magwell right now. I'm guessing AR style single load solutions lockup perfectly as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    You sir, win the internet. I had no idea and am ordering the AR-15 Magwell right now. I'm guessing AR style single load solutions lockup perfectly as well.
    ok now I'm rethinking my earlier comment...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast