Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running in 2020

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C2Q View Post
    I definitely do better mentally on trail runs (smooth ones, or I'd kill myself). We do have a new paved trail in my town now which goes right next to our favorite brewery. That helps me get C4IGrant out there for walks too (he only runs if someone is chasing him--so, never!)
    I do like that lots of smaller breweries are hosting pub runs these days. Great way to find someone your pace to run (or walk) with and take away the monotony of road runs by running with a group, then ending the run with a couple pints.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I do have a love/hate relationship with running. I prefer a speed walk/run alteration during half marathons (when I do them), and definitely prefer walking 14-15 minute miles for my exercise--no mental energy needed to keep me going. But I miss running sometimes, and I do burn more calories in less time which is what I like. I also love getting first place in my age group (40-49) during 5k's.
    I'd recommend doing something you hate less and love more and or follow recs in the article posted to derive max benefits at least.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It’s peculiar how OPs thread topic started out as a general interest discussion post on particular topic then devolved into a wash of unsolicited input and advice... weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Interesting, most folks tend to see it as exactly the opposite when it comes to value for effort.
    Never ask someone who can't run about running. They are like vegans. They won't shut up about it.

Feedback Score
    My running in 2020 is at a stand still for the moment. Ugh. Weather has been crappy.

-Fair Weather Runner

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Did 1.5 miles yesterday followed by sprints/intervals.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Just got my new pair of Saucony's for the 2020 running season (literally in the last 5 minutes)....and my diagnosis of cervical stenosis (yesterday) and recommendation to not run at all. Guess I should start the "walking in 2020" thread now...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Since our dept gym has been closed for reno, and the rest of the world has been closed for covid19, I pretty much stopped working out. I feel fat, flabby and weak and disgusted with myself. Its super easy being lazy but I'm tired of it. My back hurts and is tight, my shoulders are stiff, and my gate is back to uneven for the preexisting nerve damage I have. All of what stopped me is my workouts are WT with a little run interval. Having no weights move and shoes not good for running, my regimen was destroyed. It added up.

I ordered a new pair of running shoes last week and they got here today. I took them out for a spin tonight. Nothing serious, just a 25min jog/walk interval, probably 1.5mi or so. I'll be hitting cardio more often and try to start my body weight/plyo/cali work again. I'm 5lbs-8lbs over where I like to be. I'm going to try and get that down. I know I've added some muscle over the last two years but I have no clue how much as I haven't done any caliper tests to chk body comp.

Anyway, it's back to work starting tonight.

Oh, the shoes I bought are Asics Cumulus 22. They offer cushion and support for high arches (me). I ordered the regular width and they don't crunch my toes. My knee felt good, no weird pain or tightness. My foot feels like it sits on top of the shoe and my front ankle is free and more forward instead of being buried under the tongue of the shoe and towards the back. But the shoes feel stable, my ankles don't feel like they'll just roll over. I look forward to seeing how they wear. I don't want my knee to be an excuse anymore and if its a matter of a good shoe, I want to find it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve been super bad about doing PT lately and it shows.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I've completed a 100 mile Ultra in the mountains among other races so I'm not a stranger to lots of running, however from a purely all-around fitness standpoint, Will is right, running is not very efficient.

It takes a lot of time to only develop aerobic capacity (anaerobic only if you do sprints) and lower body strength-endurance. As contrasted with a well designed full body circuit that could develop upper and lower body strength, strength-endurance, aerobic, anaerobic, power and core in just 15-20 mins.

If you like running, it is still great exercise just make sure not to neglect total-body strength training...which at least in terms of core and lower body strength will really help you avoid running injuries. If you don't like running...don't think you "have" to for weight loss or "cardio" you don't! I always think it is sad when I see people jogging who just look absolutely miserable. Do what you like/enjoy for fitness mostly, balanced by something focusing on the attributes what you like to do is lacking in.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123