Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 223/5.56 Ammo For Hitting Steel At 500 Yards

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    (:

Mounds, of any type- particularly those not covered with grass/weeds, are in short supply in most of Kansas.

I’m at the point of hauling dirt/fill to the North pasture and creating berms to have any chance of seeing misses.
    A moderate project and considerable PITA.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    (:

Mounds, of any type- particularly those not covered with grass/weeds, are in short supply in most of Kansas.

I’m at the point of hauling dirt/fill to the North pasture and creating berms to have any chance of seeing misses.
    Ain't that the truth. I recently decided to change my zero up a bit. Double checked zero, and started moving back. I've got an 8" plate with a stand I built set way out yonder around 650 yards from my neighbor's house, so the option is walk out through the wheat with the rifle to change distance. 330 yards I was golden. Moved to 375 and it fell apart because I could not figure where the heck I was at since there's a bunch of grass behind it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You could load up our slammer ammo, 62 grain BTHP Midsouth shooters at .10 a round will work for 500 yards all day long. Choose your favorite powder and shoot cheap pills to 500.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I recently decided to change my zero up a bit. Double checked zero, and started moving back. I've got an 8" plate with a stand I built set way out yonder around 650 yards from my neighbor's house, so the option is walk out through the wheat with the rifle to change distance. 330 yards I was golden. Moved to 375 and it fell apart because I could not figure where the heck I was at since there's a bunch of grass behind it.
    It is really night and day having a berm. Our 500 does not. But 6- 750-900 and the 1,000 has this god giving blessing of a mound for us. 1,300 as well. Get the bulldozer out.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    (:

A simple berm or bay can work wonders for flat-landers.

They don't necessarily have to be big or expensive to be effective and safe.

Some ideas that should put your mind at ease. They're always better the higher they are, plus a cap or vertical wall will capture ricochets (which will happen). A trench plate mounted vertically or sloped toward the shooter should catch most ricochets. The Air Force has some interesting ranges in semi-urban areas to fire machineguns for the base security force.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPenguin5145 View Post
    I am limited to a 500 yard range here. I have a 14.7" BA Barrel. I am not looking to punch 4 leaf clovers. I don't care about terminal ballistics and what it does to gel. I don't really have a lot of experience loading and shooting out to 500 yards. I am talking about hitting steel target, 16" or so, at 500 yards. The object here is to use what I run on the street, which is my 14.7 with a dot on top.

I know everyone favors 77 SMK and the like for "long range" .223/5.56. I know markm has a good load for the 77smk using 21.6 (21.8)gns of H322. What I want to know is would something like a 53 Vmax work just as well or better for this "shorter" distance? I am shooting with a Red Dot/Magnifier. I am kinda thinking the 53 Vmax would shoot flatter then the 77 SMK making it slightly easier to figure out holds.

Or am I just giving this too much thought?
    I can hit at 500 yards with my Ultradyne irons and anything a gun shop sells in the way of ammo. I doubt if the limiting factor is ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I can hit at 500 yards with my Ultradyne irons and anything a gun shop sells in the way of ammo. I doubt if the limiting factor is ammo.
    You should have seen us one evening in diminishing light. I brought out some reloaded M196 pull down tracers and we shot them at 500. Holy smokes it was funny to watch them fly horribly. One actually curved into the wind. I think I got one on steel. But shitty bullets do fly poorly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Some of my barrels genuinely hate M855.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Some of my barrels genuinely hate M855.
    I thought all barrels hated that crappy bullet.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I thought all barrels hated that crappy bullet.
    My Noveske Afghan “Recce” gun can keep most of them on E-types at 500. Others just launch it in the general direction.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast