Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking help

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I second the heat gun! It is a very useful tool.

Another thing to note is .223 vs 5.56 NATO pressures - 5.56 NATO generally runs hotter than commercial .223, and in some gas tube/buffer combinations, there can be a noticeable difference in the action cycling properly.

Sounds like the Frog Lube might be your primary culprit though... Good luck!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I didn't think anyone was still using Frog Lube on AR's, as you found out it thickens up an gums things up. Get some SLIP EWL or even Mobil 1 and it will likely work better.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If I understood you correctly, you've already changed the recoil system from a standard carbine setup to an A5 system. Is that correct? If so, this is certainly an upgrade. Next step is to clean it thoroughly and remove all the gummed up Frog Lube. As noted above, it is a good lube, IF used correctly. IMO it's more trouble than it's worth and I would move to something different. If I'm not mistaken some non-chlorinated brake cleaner will strip that crap right off. Just be sure to use it in a well ventilated area and try not to get it on you if you go this route. Lube it up, shoot it, and see what happens.

By the way, what exactly is the Magpul sling piece you mentioned above?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To all, you.the BCG,was jammed with what I believe is frog lube. Yes I did change the recoil system to the A5, I initially thought I'd put the A5, turns out it was a vltor carbine kit. Mobile1, as in engine oil? I know of SLIP but not the EWL?. The round count is less then 200. I built this, oooo 8/10 years ago. For my son, as a gift.

So I was at the range today, ran a bore snake. Thru it 6/7 times. Couple drops of regular gun oil, and ran 5 mags thru it, without a hiccup. From 10 y, to 400y, no worries. This rifle has an early Vortex red dot. " wasn't going to put a one on" I was actually surprised at how well and accurate the red dot was.

I shot with Troy sights, like my dot dead center, so I'm looking rear sight, red dot, front sight centered.

Gents, tank you so much. Means a lot to me for you guys to step up and help solve problems.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Magpul slimg , is the piece that's rests between the stock and the rear receiver. Got a little, loop on it, to set a QD MagPul sling.

Guys I'm just getting back into this. Names, of parts confuse me. I'm sure MagPul has a snappy name for it. I do have those on all my other carbine. I just had three discs removed and replaced in my neck, and a steel titanium plate with six screws into my spine. Out of surgery for roughly 3 weeks.

I'm healing quick, I can now feel my hands! I got screwed up in the mil, then towards EOW, in my Leo career, I slide off a very steep mountain while slinking into my overwatch, hide in a cartel marijuana grow, in Northern California.

MagPul uses a small rectangular metal piece which slides in at the base on the stock, receiver bottom. Trying to minipulate that in caused me some grief, so I just went with the Vltor stock piece.

Gents, thank you again.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love Frog Lube threads.

I got bashed and flamed everytime I bad-mouthed that stuff when it was still the hot stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Receiver End Plate is the part you replaced.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Magpul slimg , is the piece that's rests between the stock and the rear receiver. Got a little, loop on it, to set a QD MagPul sling.

MagPul uses a small rectangular metal piece which slides in at the base on the stock, receiver bottom. Trying to minipulate that in caused me some grief, so I just went with the Vltor stock piece.

Gents, thank you again.

Dirk
    As noted above, the part you're talking about is the receiver end plate. The Magpul part you're describing sounds like the ASAP.

Personally I think you're better off without it. They're a pain to install and they're a pain to stake because they're made of steel vs. aluminum. If you want a QD end plate go with one like this from BCM. Easy to install and easy to stake.

Anyway it sounds like you got the rifle sorted out, which is great news. Well done.

Thank you for your service and I wish you well in your recovery.
    Last edited by SteveL; 02-19-20 at 21:45.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12