Thread: Sako A-II .308 with Zeiss scope..... sweetest-ever hunting rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Sako A-II .308 with Zeiss scope..... sweetest-ever hunting rifle

Sako A II .308 with Zeiss 4X scope Z-Plex reticle

Do you want to hunt like landed gentry? Like a European gentleman of substance and breeding? Do you own a heavy wool blazer in plaid with a matching cap, and a handcrafted briar pipe but just don’t have the right rifle to go with them?

Maybe you just have a wild boar problem out behind the castle and you want them gone, but don’t want to shoot them with something vulgar!

I fell in love with this rifle but the job is to sell it for a friend who has experienced some unexpected medical issues recently. Of “D” I will just say he is a rifleman’s rifleman, a High Master in NRA High Power and a Master in F-Class…. among many other things: bard, appreciator of fine ladies, martial arts instructor, master of Spencerian, an intellectual who could clear a room of ruffians and bullies with minimal effort.

The rifle appears to have been made in 1989. He’s not sure if it was unfired or not when he bought it. He bought this in the early 2000’s for his wife to shoot silhouette matches with, her round count was under 200. I have closely examined the gun and I doubt the total round count is a hundred more than that. This included borescoping; the chamber throat is the big teller and it looks fine and consistent with a round count of 300. The barrel is neither skinny nor max heavy, it is straight tapered, ending in .625 at the muzzle. It’s 22” long.

I shot it earlier this week and quite easily put 4 of 5 into .680” at 100 yards. The first shot of the group (but this was not the cold bore shot of the day) made the group 1.2”.

The attractiveness of this rifle apart from the fact that it’s very pleasing to the eye, is the handling. Light enough to carry and maneuver around in hunting, heavy and ergonomic enough to be a pleasure to shoot. There was just something about the feel of it--— that I didn’t get until I was cleaning it and got a good top-down view behind the action. The checkered pistol grip area is palm-swelled out to the right, perfectly taking the hand of a right-handed shooter…. the (laminated) Monte Carlo stock makes this a gun pretty much only for a righty, anyway.

I have / will have many pics available showing everything that’s wrong with the rifle and…. it’s not much. If I have made you interested in this Sako, email me for them. There is a little spot on the muzzle where at some point it bumped a wall or something— most people would not notice it and it does not come anywhere near the crown. I almost hesitate to use the word “damage”. There are a few points of checkering bumped over on the RH side of the pistol grip. I think there’s a ding in the stock but again….. very minimal, like if you dropped a marble on it from 5’ or something.

In the Sako rings is the 4X Zeiss DIATAL-C 4x32scope. This appears to be discontinued. As I rezero’d it the other day I found its ¼” clicks free and positive, and accurate on the target as to movement values. The front bell has a glossy rubber cover over it. The objective has a rubber ring that is cracking a little, but it’s completely intact. The scope has a few marks on it from previous mountings but nothing like dents or physical damage. Z-Plex reticle, clear as, as, let’s see, clear as a Zeiss. My $.02, a perfect scope for this rifle as the target attests and it is just so fitting in size and magnification for the deer-or-hog-in-the-woods application. If I owned it I would leave it as-is…. a Finnish-made rifle deserves high-end Euro glass! And I would find some Rottweil or Lapua ammo for it, don my wool blazer and cap, put the pipe in my pocket, and go for a stroll out behind the castle! $1580- includes shipping—to your FFL.

Stay tuned for “D”’s very custom F-Class rifle in 6mm BR Norma.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    PSF.

Not SPF, PSF.

Pighunter Sending Funds :-)

Seems there really IS a guy with a hog problem out behind the castle!!