Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AK12 Build!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

AK12 Build!!

Well guys here it is, an AK12 clone built off a Childer's receiver and some other parts. The barrel is a CL Green Mountain of AK74 patterned, the AK12 has a weird contour due to the grenade launcher attachment surface. Bolt and Carrier are Russian Saiga and the trunnion is a 22mm Bulgarian.

The real big difference with the AK12 is the rail system. As you can see in the photos above, you'll notice the trunnion has a latch interface welded on. To remove the dust cover, you simply rotate the lever up and pull out until there's no resistance. Once that's done, you just pull up and the cover is off. The recoil rod is a little different as well, it's just captured by two tabs. The lower hand guard has a tab that is pinned into the front of the receiver, that requires a punch to depress a capture spring assembly all while pushing the pin out the side. Only then can you remove the lower hand guard and the upper hand guard.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 02-18-20 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The stock also has a trap door similar to the HK416 stock and that's where you'll find the cleaning kit.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 02-18-20 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Most people thought the front gas tube cover was indeed an adjustable gas block... its not. It's merely a plug that can be removed to clean the gas block and is held in by a small detent to the left of the plug.

The safety is nice, you can manipulate it with your finger and is pretty comfortable.

The grip houses an oiler and a space to place smaller parts.
    Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 02-18-20 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    That’s a really cool. How did you source all of those AK-12 parts and the receiver, etc?

Not to down your build, but I’m very underwhelmed by what “improvements” the Russians put into the AK-12 over the standard AK-74M and 101/103 rifles on the outside at least. You would have hoped for at least a monolithic upper receiver with AK internals, or something similar. Not sure how this is any better than a Galil ACE. I’m sure the AK-12 will cost less to produce though, and a 7.62x39 version should be successful on the export market to former Soviet satellite states.

Again, cool pics and congrats on the build. I bet it will be fun to shoot :-)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    That’s a really cool. How did you source all of those AK-12 parts and the receiver, etc?

Not to down your build, but I’m very underwhelmed by what “improvements” the Russians put into the AK-12 over the standard AK-74M and 101/103 rifles on the outside at least. You would have hoped for at least a monolithic upper receiver with AK internals, or something similar. Not sure how this is any better than a Galil ACE. I’m sure the AK-12 will cost less to produce though, and a 7.62x39 version should be successful on the export market to former Soviet satellite states.

Again, cool pics and congrats on the build. I bet it will be fun to shoot :-)
    The "parts kit" is essentially a furniture kit with a couple of exceptions like the recoil spring, parts came from Russia. I have a couple AKs, including an Alpha build using Zenitco parts... the AK12 is more functional and definitely a lot lighter than I thought it would be. I'm an AR guy through and through but this AK has the ergos it's been missing for a while.
    Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 02-18-20 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful!

If you don't mind my asking what did that set you back?

In the fourth pic there is a diagonal groove (almost looks like a crack) and some deep milling marks near where the gas tube latch would lock into place. What are those?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 02-18-20 at 20:59.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Beautiful!

If you don't mind my asking what did that set you back?

In the fourth pic there is a diagonal groove (almost looks like a crack) and some deep milling marks near where the gas tube latch would lock into place. What are those?

Parts list -

AK12 Parts Kit - 1200
    Bulgarian trunnion - 100.00
    Russian bolt - 225.00
    Russian carrier - 125.00
    US made Chrome lined barrel - 165.00
    Childer’s receiver - 125.00
    Labor 700.00 + 200.00 moly resin refinish (275.00 for Cerakote)

Grand total - $2840.00

The lateral groove is where the mount was welded on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very cool! I don't know why, but I've liked the lines of the AK-12 since it came out. Not my preferred variant (Galils get that honor) but this is damn cool.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Very cool! I don't know why, but I've liked the lines of the AK-12 since it came out. Not my preferred variant (Galils get that honor) but this is damn cool.
    Man the Galil’s silhouette is hard to beat. I have a R4-ish built by CW on a Tortot receiver and a Mirco Galil Hunter built on a Norinco Hunter receiver.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Cool rifle. I bet it would be fairly simple to modify a second gas plug for suppressed use.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast