Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Gp5

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Griffin Gp5

Specs look good on the Griffin Armament GP5 suppressor. As a stamp collector I realized I prefer the one suppressor per gun methodology. So direct thread doesn’t scare me.

https://www.silencershop.com/griffin-armament-gp5.html

I’m posting for any/all feedback on the suppressor and manufacture before purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I too follow the one can per gun rule.

However I still wouldn’t put a thread on can on a semi auto AR. Even if that thing was torqued to 20ft lbs and I used Rocksett. (Because if you didn’t - that is definitely gonna come off)

Why bother? For literally the same amount of money I could get a 556SD and be able to remove the can for cleaning or if I just don’t want to shoot suppressed. That can doesn’t look special in other features.

I think the only benefit would be for a state that prohibits SBRs you could run a 11.5”~ gun and pin it to be in compliance (if you care about such things)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The reason for my interest in direct thread is weight saving. Suppressors can be annoyingly heavy and I’d like to shave ever ounce I can.

Didn’t know about the walking off thing. That’s a concern.

Feedback Score
    The GP5 is a great suppressor. A dedicated suppressed upper receiver group solves a lot of problems. Never understood the obsession with lego cans and manic cleaning.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sadler View Post
    A dedicated suppressed upper receiver group solves a lot of problems.

Agreed.

Never understood the obsession with lego cans and manic cleaning.

Agreed.
    Still wouldn’t want a thread on can for a semi auto gun.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    The reason for my interest in direct thread is weight saving. Suppressors can be annoyingly heavy and I’d like to shave ever ounce I can.

Didn’t know about the walking off thing. That’s a concern.

I used a 16" pencil barrel BCM upper with a Rocksett'ed AAC Ranger 2 for about four years of 3-gun/2-gun plus night matches, training, range time with friends, teaching new shooters, etc in 100F+ temps with 100% humidity, down to 20F at night, in the rain, in the mud, etc. About 8000 rounds or so. I had to stop torquing it on with a strap wrench because it made it a bitch to take off for quarterly cleaning. Hand tight + Rocksett and never had one issue after the first time, where I used only a dot of Rocksett. After learning to generously apply the Rocksett, I never had an issue again.

Rocksett is great stuff.

ETA, buy a strap wrench. Even only hand tight, I had to wrap the can with a wet cloth, to get enough grip, and use a strap wrench on a few occasions to remove the can.

Further details: the rifle was routinely made very hot. Sighted mag dumps were a thing, training muzzle control. Never more than three mags at a time, because I didn't want to trash the barrel. The setup lived through a lot of close range rapid fire for some of the competition stages, though never more than a couple of mags for a stage with the average being about a mag and a half, IIRC.
    Last edited by Aries144; 02-25-20 at 07:43.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    It’s a great can, and as Aries144 says rocksett is your friend.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    I used a 16" pencil barrel BCM upper with a Rocksett'ed AAC Ranger 2 for about four years of 3-gun/2-gun plus night matches, training, range time with friends, teaching new shooters, etc in 100F+ temps with 100% humidity, down to 20F at night, in the rain, in the mud, etc. About 8000 rounds or so. I had to stop torquing it on with a strap wrench because it made it a bitch to take off for quarterly cleaning. Hand tight + Rocksett and never had one issue after the first time, where I used only a dot of Rocksett. After learning to generously apply the Rocksett, I never had an issue again.

Rocksett is great stuff.

ETA, buy a strap wrench. Even only hand tight, I had to wrap the can with a wet cloth, to get enough grip, and use a strap wrench on a few occasions to remove the can.

Further details: the rifle was routinely made very hot. Sighted mag dumps were a thing, training muzzle control. Never more than three mags at a time, because I didn't want to trash the barrel. The setup lived through a lot of close range rapid fire for some of the competition stages, though never more than a couple of mags for a stage with the average being about a mag and a half, IIRC.
    Interesting. Would you buy it again?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Interesting. Would you buy it again?

The Ranger 2 was a great value for its day, but there are better cans out there now. Lighter and more durable.

For a rifle you plan to shoot suppressed all the time, I'd get the lightest thread-on can that produces 140dB or less 1 meter from the muzzle and is made using either inconel, stellite baffles or the C300 alloy used on the Vox can. Baffle material is more important for barrels under 14.5" for preserving the life of the can's sound suppression ability. Avoid titanium baffles. Titanium baffles throw sparks in the dark, which isn't nice for shooting with night vision.

The Sig thread-on cans and the Vox S can both stick out in my mind. Yankee Hill's newest designs might even be worth checking out if money is a big concern.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    Yankee Hill's newest designs might even be worth checking out if money is a big concern.
    From what I’ve seen on the internet, they might be worth checking out even if money isn’t tight. Hopefully my Turbo K clears purgatory soon so I can find out if the hype is real. But, Silencershop meters the K just under 140 at the muzzle and just over 140 at the ear on a 16”. Its got inconel and its tubeless; very lightweight. I’ll be interested to see how the longer Turbo T2 meters at the ear, with more space and another baffle.

If not concerned about needing inconel or stellite, Rex Silentium has modular mount cans that come with a direct thread module. They are all stainless, 1.75” diameter, tubeless, and lightweight. They’ll make them in whatever length and bore you desire. Also, inexpensive. I’m waiting on one of these, also, so I can’t give any direct input, just throwing out another option to consider.

Its a great time to be into suppressors.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast