Thread: Load Development for .308?

Feedback Score

Load Development for .308?

So, I'm about to embark on rolling my own so to speak for my Savage 10FP in .308

Plan is to shoot some 175 SMKS over Varget with CCI BR2's.

I'm new to reloading, so I could use some guidance on load development, so to speak.

I've been doing a little a bit of reading and came across two things, the "Audette Method" and the "OCW" method for determining what the the optimum charge weight is for a particular caliber/rifle combo. Is anyone here familiar with these, used them? Or, do you guys have any other suggestions as to how to find THE most accurate load for my gun?

Would be appreciated!
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use a similar load for my GAP 308. I use 44.3 gr of Varget with Fed 210 match primers Win brass, and 175SMKs. I use the Sierra manual and started with about 40gr and loaded 5 rounds, then stepped up each 5 rounds by .5 gr. Found what I liked with the fps I wanted and left it. Many hundred rounds later.... shoots the same

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
    I use a similar load for my GAP 308. I use 44.3 gr of Varget with Fed 210 match primers Win brass, and 175SMKs. I use the Sierra manual and started with about 40gr and loaded 5 rounds, then stepped up each 5 rounds by .5 gr. Found what I liked with the fps I wanted and left it. Many hundred rounds later.... shoots the same
    Right around 2600 I would imagine?

From what I've read ES/SD aren't ALLWAYS an accurate predictor of a 'good' load, ie you can have a load with a good SD but it still groups like crap.

I'm new to all this thou
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OCW is good - read it and use it.

Get an RCBS Precision Mic http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=574297 and use this to set your sizing die to YOUR rifles chamber.

The best reloading manual for precision loads is Precision Shooting Magazines manual http://www.precisionshooting.com/books.html (near bottom).

Last - as the referrenced manual discusses - ask yourself what you want to load? Pretty good ammo (equal to factory match) or bench rest quality ammo.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    2673 fps JLM

this has been verified by not only chrono but actual data shooting to 1K

Feedback Score
    Thanks gents.

I was planning on getting the RCBS mic or the Hornady Headspace tool, so I could set the die to bump the shoulder back .002 or so.

What are you using for dies? I ordered a set of Forster's from Graf's the other day, but they haven't shipped yet.