Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor on Precision Rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Suppressor on Precision Rifle

I have a Griffin Armament 30SD that I use on my semi. The question is whether this sort of suppressor is ideal for a precision rifle, or would I be better off with something else. For example, should I get a direct thread? Will it potentially affect accuracy. I am lucky enough that I just picked up an Accuracy International AX 308, short action. I will also get a creedmoor barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mounting matters not for precision. Pappabear and I run all kinds of his cans and mine on various precision style bolt and semi rifles. Not a single difference as far as shooting/accuracy.

Direct thread has kinda become a slight preference due to simplicity.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If you’re picking one, the Thunder Beast Ultra 7 is what I would pick. I have an Omega and it is great, pretty noticeable POI shift when shooting unsuppressed on my hunting rifle but I basically only shoot suppressed anyway so it’s not a big deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Mounting matters not for precision. Pappabear and I run all kinds of his cans and mine on various precision style bolt and semi rifles. Not a single difference as far as shooting/accuracy.

Direct thread has kinda become a slight preference due to simplicity.
    Thank you Sir!! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I understand the POI shift, however, I plan on shooting the gun mainly suppressed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Actually, I have seen POI shift. Been in cheaper cans EVERYTIME. Not often, but it does happen. I fixed that each of my long guns has their own can, I don't change em up. Each rifle and required kit are in the hard case. 100 rds of match grade aswell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the same 30SD and in my experience, the nature of the can with its A2 mount, I think the looseness, or slop, of the mount, adds a little more shift than my taper mount cans.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I have the same 30SD and in my experience, the nature of the can with its A2 mount, I think the looseness, or slop, of the mount, adds a little more shift than my taper mount cans.
    I use the GA muzzle device with the can. You can slightly rock it from side to side once locked on. The question is whether that would have any affect on accuracy of the rifle. Obviously, testing is the ultimate resolution of the question, however, I was curious if anyone had that experience. Other than POI shift, any affects on accuracy? Also, did you find the POI shift was consistent?
    Last edited by PNorris; 02-20-20 at 07:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    I use the GA muzzle device with the can. You can slightly rock it from side to side once locked on. The question is whether that would have any affect on accuracy of the rifle. Obviously, testing is the ultimate resolution of the question, however, I was curious if anyone had that experience. Other than POI shift, any affects on accuracy? Also, did you find the POI shift was consistent?
    Yes, all my cans and mounts are GA also. My 30SD has a slight rocking side to side too.
    My Optimus with a taper mount seems to have a more predictable shift but I guess it could just be the guns it’s mounted to.
    It’s been awhile but I also tested my Optimus with a A2 mount on the same 308 I was using my 30SD on. If I recall correctly, I thought the shift was greater but more consistent with the A2 Optimus vs the 30SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    People have said that the AAC cans that have a bit of wobble would be terrible for accuracy. We have not found that, in fact my .223 Bolt gun wore one forever and shot many a many sub .5 moa groups.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I own a M4SDk, but no 30SD. A buddy has a Recce and a SPR. He’s a precision guy, and loves his. I’ve noticed no loss of precision with my M4SDk, despite the movement on the mount. In fact, some of my rifles seem to shoot a little better with it. I’ll probably buy a 30SDk soon, since I love the mount.

Edit: there was a thread on the hide about this, but I can’t find it.

Edit 2: bought a 30SDk. I guess I’ll have more input in like a year.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-06-20 at 09:37.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast