Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: SHTF Optics

Feedback Score
    … and the next couple of owners will appreciate it, too!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Aimpoint or ACOG

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Magnification is definitely a must. Aimpoint would have to be paired with a 3x magnifier.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schootz View Post
    For headshot on zombies, yes. Otherwise...not necessarily.
    I agree. For target I.D. outside of 50 plus yards, magnification is nice. For slaying bodies in bulk, we'll run an RDS out to 500 yards with hold over.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. For target I.D. outside of 50 plus yards, magnification is nice. For slaying bodies in bulk, we'll run an RDS out to 500 yards with hold over.
    What size dot for this Mark?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Magnified, ACOG. Non magnified, Aimpoint. We have ACOGs in the armory that are over 15 years old and are still usable; I doubt the firearms guys have ever sent them in to get serviced. In fact I'm sure they haven't because we would never get them back.
    Tritium doesn't last that long so I'm guessing you're wrong.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Tritium doesn't last that long so I'm guessing you're wrong.
    I’ve had a hard time convincing my guys that optics with batteries are superior to tritium. They say “but muh gun don’t depend on batteries”. One dude had an ACOG’s tritium die in four years. Had to go back for a couple weeks. Meanwhile, I’ve got an Aimpoint that was on for 7 years before battery replacement. Literally one spare battery would last longer than ideal tritium life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    While I'm partial to batteries over fiber optics & tritium myself, it might be noted that many batteries have a pretty limited guaranteed shelf life. Doesn't mean they won't last much longer in practice but I wouldn't expect them to stay good for a lifetime.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

I ran an illuminated Leupold 1.5-5 for years in the middle east starting back in 06, and had zero issues.

Of course a bunch of guys talked out of their ass back then too...

Then again many of those same guys were frequently asking me to "take a look at that dude", ID something, etc...

The 4X ACOG works fine too. I have used one from contact distance to 800 yards and don't really have an issue with it. Is it as fast as an RDO at 30 yards and in? No of course not, but it works quite well, and if the person is a competent shooter, it is an extremely effective tool. I would be extremely happy to have a TAO1 on an M4 in your basic SHTF situation. The ACOG is a very solid design, and while these days I would choose a Nightforce 2.5-10 or something similar, I would not consider myself poorly armed at all with my ancient Colt/ACOG combo.

Frankly the skill of the guy behind the gun is light years more important, and always will be.
    Here endth the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Given that batteries go bad in storage after time, tritium runs out..... Etched will always be etched

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678