Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF Optics

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    The Russians make...or made at least, a 1x sight that had the option of either an illuminated red dot or an etched black dot that could be used without batteries. I think it was called the PK-AS. I’m sure the optic itself doesn’t compare favorably to western optics but the idea of a 1x reflex sight with a simple non-illuminated “black dot” option seems like an interesting idea.
    Like the Primary Arms Cyclops?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    IMO the Primary Arms are viable options for a shtf optic, glass is not great but for the money not bad, rugged, etched reticle daylight bright and cheap enough you can buy an extra for a backup.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Cricle 10, i had one of those POSP scopes for one of my AK's. I would agree that they are rugged enough for SHFT. I sold it for the price of a new AK, i regret it but oh well.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    batteriless, so i go trijicon: acog, rmr dual-illum, or their LPVO if they appeal to you

there are others like mepro, leupold prismatic, seeall, or any standard scope with a wire/etched reticle that can function without batteries

in some shtf scenarios, powered red-dots (ie aimpoints, eotechs, etc) may not be the best option
    ACOG is pretty close to ideal... Even when the tritium goes dead in the reticle you can tape a glow stick against the fiber optic and still have a lit reticle indoors. With an objective cap you can close, the lit reticle acts sort of like an occluded eye gunsight that works pretty well a contact shot distances. Once zeroed, no dialing or moving parts to break, fairly lightweight, pretty hard to destroy.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schootz View Post
    What about EMP attacks?
    What about them?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    What about them?
    Mental masturbation at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    No it isn't, not for shtf optic.

Weight is always a concern. Heavier rifles handle slower and if you're going to be carrying it (SHTF and worried about how long it lasts, yeah, you're going to be carrying it), weight obviously matters.

Hell I'd say for a SHTF optic weight matters more than it would for non-SHTF for those of us regular type folks who are the types to bother asking this question

Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Mental masturbation at best.

Sounds about right

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Form follows function, use dictates tool.

In home, across the street; RD and BUIS. I use a lot of MRO’s on carbines.
    100 yds and out; LPVO.
    At ranch/extended distance (300+); mo’ glass-2-10X/3-15X/etc.

Nothing’s etched in stone.
    Using lowest common denominator (RD/BUIS) I’m not gonna just roll over whatever the scenario.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Vortex Razor 1-6x/1-10x with reptilia 90º RMR mounted on top and a offset mounted aimpoint t2 should be gtg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    ACOG fiber optic models, TA31F, etc.

Quality LPVO with an etched reticle

backup or offset irons. Last you forever.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast