Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF Optics

Feedback Score
    This is a fun one. Given your parameters I'd say any acog would work great. But honestly I'm going to echo what others said. Iron sights always work well, and the battery life and track record of aimpoint rds is great.

The trijicon MRO with a steel buis is probably the best budget setup tho

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
    What is the best shtf optic? Something etched is ideal as it can be used even if batteries are inaccessible. Weight is also a concern. What do we all think?
    No it isn't, not for shtf optic.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Razor. Known to be durable AF and has an etched reticle so it doesn’t matter whether or not you have batteries. Also if it’s truly SHTF, you may very well need magnification and decent performance at 1x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Razor. Known to be durable AF and has an etched reticle so it doesn’t matter whether or not you have batteries. Also if it’s truly SHTF, you may very well need magnification and decent performance at 1x.

Razor has a wire reticle and is known to have issues related to this, among other things.

Gen 3 razor is still an unknown, but does use an etched reticle.

Feedback Score
    Define “SHTF”. Then we can talk.

SHTF: somebody breaks in my house to hurt my family, shots are ten yards max? Aimpoint Micro rides my rifle to fill that role.

SHTF: there is civil unrest, roving gangs come to the subdivision and you have dudes posted along funnel points ready to take shots of necessary? Maybe 1-8x Nightforce or 1-10x Vortex Razor.

SHTF: Defending the ranch from drug cartels after there is no rule of law? Maybe a 5-25 Bender on top of a .300 or .338 to poke a hole in the radiator from half a mile.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
    How is the aimpoint under magnification?
    I know there’s some debate over led vs hws magnified.
    The Aimpoint T2 with magnifier is much better than the T1. I can't speak to any Aimpoint other than the micro.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    batteriless, so i go trijicon: acog, rmr dual-illum, or their LPVO if they appeal to you

there are others like mepro, leupold prismatic, seeall, or any standard scope with a wire/etched reticle that can function without batteries

in some shtf scenarios, powered red-dots (ie aimpoints, eotechs, etc) may not be the best option

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Razor has a wire reticle and is known to have issues related to this, among other things.

Gen 3 razor is still an unknown, but does use an etched reticle.
    I’ve never heard of that but I’ll have to look around.

Quote Originally Posted by wigbones View Post
    The Aimpoint T2 with magnifier is much better than the T1. I can't speak to any Aimpoint other than the micro.
    Very true. The T1 is garbage with a magnifier.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I run irons for "SHTF" , I do have a burris 3X scope that could be used. about a year of solid abuse in my patrol truck and it never lost zero, i would wait a couple more years before i recomend it. I would go irons my self. they are more rugged then optics.

Feedback Score
    Definitely would run mbuis regardless of the optic chosen. Leaning towards acog + RMR, AccuPoint or T2 + magnifier.
    Last edited by MrHandsome; 02-20-20 at 11:01.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast