Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMMG .45 carbine

Feedback Score
    Well... I finally received the CMMG back earlier this week. I’m not real sure what CMMG did to my gun, something about either a new bolt carrier group or it’s revised. Also they “flex honed” the chamber or something. It looks like most of the bottom lug is missing. The sharp edge where the FMJ was hanging up before it left the magazine is still there. If the gun doesn’t run now I will trade it in to the LGS where I bought it (they have great customer service). I won’t deal with CMMG again. The final straw was that CMMG requested one of the magazines I was having problems with. So with the gun I included one of the brand new Glock magazines. They kept it! The LGS I bought the gun through was nice enough to give me a replacement magazine for no charge. I will post update, hopefully next week, when I remount optic and attempt sighting in.

Feedback Score
    Well, I was finally able to get to the range today to try the CMMG .45 carbine. The FTF problem is still occurring. I had probably five FTFs out of a hundred rounds. The accuracy seems to have deteriorated somewhat, maybe due to them “flex honing” the chamber. I’m not sure why they did that, because it jams before the cartridge ever gets to the chamber. So CMMG didn’t fix the problem, possibly hurt the accuracy, and kept my magazine. So I won’t be communicating with them again. There is something I’m going to try, and I’ll post if it helps. This is unfortunate because the gun is great fun on the pistol steel plate range. It smacks those heavy swinging 8” plates at 35 yards with much authority. It might be a couple weeks before I can tinker with this thing again. Keep in mind, this is just something I purchased as a range toy, but I still expect it to be reliable.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear the problems didn’t get resolved. PCCs are a hoot but problems with anything can be frustrating - even if it’s just for range fun.

Feedback Score
    Amen to PCCs being both fun and useful.
    For the OP, was there a reason for going with a .45, rather than the more abundant 9s out there.
    Love .45s, but they're pricier to feed, and likely present some problems in a blowback carbine.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Amen to PCCs being both fun and useful.
    For the OP, was there a reason for going with a .45, rather than the more abundant 9s out there.
    Love .45s, but they're pricier to feed, and likely present some problems in a blowback carbine.
    Moon
    I have plenty of weapons that use 9mm, and just wanted to balance things out with an additional weapon in .45acp. It’s not quite a traditional blowback design, as that would make the bolt heavy. I think they call it a delayed blowback. It has a bolt that locks similar to a traditional AR15. You can adjust the weight of the BCG to optimize it for +P ammunition if you like. I am going to tinker with it to see if I can get it reliable.

Feedback Score
    Always curious about delayed blowback carbines. Had a SIG that fell well short of perfection, but have had straight blowbacks that were flawless.
    Keep us posted.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Sorry it has been a while since my last post, but I was so disappointed with the manufacturer’s lack of support I just put the gun away for a while. Well last night I took it out and tried my idea to solve the intermittent feeding issue. Using a Dremel on the lowest speed with a conical stone, I made two passes using very light pressure on the (steel) sharp 90 degree angle just under the feed ramp. I just wanted to break the sharp corner, now it has a slight bevel to it. I put 100 rounds through the gun today and it ran perfectly. Before today I couldn’t get through two magazines (Glock 13 round) without a FTF. It’s sad that I had to fix this problem myself, but I’m happy it seems to be resolved and I’ll definitely keep it as it’s great fun on the pistol steel plate range.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    That's awesome. Thanks for the update. Helpful to those that may be in the same boat.

Feedback Score
    Have been thinking about one of these myself.

Leaning towards .45 or more likely, .40.

How is yours running? Anyone else?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12