Thread: Any Experience with Nielson Training and Consulting?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question Any Experience with Nielson Training and Consulting?

I recently heard of these guys (out of Utah), and was curious as to whether anyone has attended any courses.
    TIA
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I took one course with them.

Not bad, but not great. Safety wasn't ever an issue, too much downtime IMO, more reps of fewer drills compared to other groups I've trained with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I took one course with them -more reps of fewer drills compared to other groups I've trained with.
    WARNING: Off-topic drift

What is your idea on this? I've always seen it two ways -

1) you attempt to train folks to sufficient competency that they remember the technique and can practice on their own;

2) you fire numerous short drills, giving folks an overall view of more stuff, but training little if any to basic competency.

I've always preferred the first method which meant my basic/intro courses were generally longer in order to cover the 'essentials' I felt needed to be taught to basic competency.

Advanced courses were essentially the same, except focusing on one or two elements. This attitude was formed when I attended a two day pistol malfunction course. Two complete days spent clearing fail to feeds, fail to fires, fail to extract, fail to eject malfunctions without once hearing then called anything else, and only one method taught. We fired less than a hundred rounds, but wore out dummies. You don't forget when it is pounded into you that way.

Unfortunately, in the popo training world, you never have enough time, and in most cases if 'Jimmy' will certify guys as patrol rifle operators in three days, Chiefs ain't sending many folks to your five day course.

That being said, I get the civilian 'course has got to be conducted on week-ends' training mindset, especially if it is a road show.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Unfortunately, in the popo training world, you never have enough time, and in most cases if 'Jimmy' will certify guys as patrol rifle operators in three days, Chiefs ain't sending many folks to your five day course.
    Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    That being said, I get the civilian 'course has got to be conducted on week-ends' training mindset, especially if it is a road show.
    Sounds like a good reason to teach more, specific courses (like the one you mentioned), than to try and cram everything into just a couple days.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I took one course with them.

Not bad, but not great. Safety wasn't ever an issue, too much downtime IMO, more reps of fewer drills compared to other groups I've trained with.
    Thanks for the insight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have trained with them several times here in California before they relocated and found them to be very safe and a totally worth while class to take ( I miss their classes being in San Jose & Metcalf.) I very much enjoyed their no nonsense approach and anecdotal reasons for the way they taught. I took both Pistol and Rifle classes and would do so again.