Thread: 1911 milling for red dot

Feedback Score

1911 milling for red dot

Have a Colt 1911 rail gun with Silencer height sites.

Was thinking of having it milled to accept a Red Dot Optic.
    I have used the search function regarding vendors.

Question is has anyone ever milled a 1911 slide similar to a M&P C.O.R.E pattern so various adapter plates can be used and different Red Dot Optics can be experiment with?

Is this even possible with a standard 1911 Slide concerning the Internals due to the Dimensions of milling required?

While I understand and accept that the Trijicon RMR is the Standard, I simply would like the ability to try different Red Dot Optics.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    The Dawson DUO currently used on STI pistols supports multiple optics. Not sure if Dawson Precision does this as a service, though. The width of a 1911 slide is something of a limiting factor.

For RMR mounting, it appears the Chambers RDSM is the way to go as it allows the use of "normal" sights (which may be irrelevant to your case)

Feedback Score
    Just make sure you want a red dot first ---I made the mistake of having my glock 19x cut for a slide--I mounted a rmr on it and hated it....I could shoot better and faster without the red dot

Feedback Score
    Nighthawk has a new mounting system. You can give them a call

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhill12 View Post
    Just make sure you want a red dot first ---I made the mistake of having my glock 19x cut for a slide--I mounted a rmr on it and hated it....I could shoot better and faster without the red dot
    There IS a learning curve. Once there - you will never go back though!!

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post

geezer john
    I agree with this. There is such a tendency of folks to pick up an RDS pistol and immediately want to quit on it because it's not as intuitive as a red dot on a shoulder fired weapon. I suspect a person trained to shoot a pistol with a dot only would think irons were garbage.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post

geezer john
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I agree with this. There is such a tendency of folks to pick up an RDS pistol and immediately want to quit on it because it's not as intuitive as a red dot on a shoulder fired weapon. I suspect a person trained to shoot a pistol with a dot only would think irons were garbage.
    Agreed on the above.

In addition all pistol mounted red dots are not created equal. In my experience the RMR is one of the worst RDS for acquisition purposes. Closed emitter “tube” type red dots like the Aimpoint ACRO and those that mimic the “tube” like the Trijicon SRO are easier to acquire since the “tube” gives more visual cues to index from during presentation.

To answer the OP’s question, most 1911 RDS Mount Systems are for the Trijicon RMR footprint which also fits the SRO and the Holosun pistol optics.

The S&W CORE is not amenable to 1911s but Agency Arms AOS system or the Unity Tactical ATOM 2 system might be.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I would lean heavily towards the Chambers Custom RDSM. While I don't own a pistol milled for one (yet) it is my favorite out of the ones I have shot. I really like how much lower it sits in the slide than the DUO. The Nighthawk is also a solid choice but the Chambers is better on the wallet. Joe is also doing a good job of controlling the quality by only allowing vetted smiths to do the milling. Guys who know a lot more about 1911/2011's than I do really like that setup.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve heard good things about Chambers mount.
    Is it substantially lower than the OEM on STI’s?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Short answer is yes. I'm replying from my phone so I'm not in a spot to go find all of the necessary pics, but the RDSM should allow a normal front sight and has the rear sight included. The DUO is a fairly tall plate and uses a pretty tall set of suppressor sights. There are good pics out there of both that make it clear